Best batteries for Garmin 62st

lancs-sue

Eneloops are good - being "low self discharge" or LSD, or "precharged" - and I think there are premium versions with a higher capacity.

I'd go for any LSD/precharged with a higher rating, say over 2000 mAh.  In my mind "it's all about the numbers", as there doesn't seem to be a quality difference between brands nowadays.

Are your Eneloops by any chance old and tired?  A refresh cycle in a quality charger might help.

I agree with Viajero Perdido, our friends who use rechargeables don't seem to notice a difference in brands these days (though we're often giving them a couple of our batteries time-to-time).   I believe a lot of our friends use rechargeables through peer pressure ("why, it's the correct thing to do..." kinda thing).

Rechargeables  never seemed to play well with our 60cxs', and have only used Duracell coppertops since we started.

To both of you:  have you gone into settings and told your units you're using NiMh cells?  If you don't, it may assume an alkaline cell voltage profile, and complain of low battery when it really isn't low at all.  NiMh cells spend most of their discharge time at a voltage that would count as "almost dead" for an alkaline.

NiMh is all I've ever used in my trusty old 60CSx - with that setting turned on of course - and the battery life has been excellent ...even with tired old Energizers that were near the end of their useful life after thousands of caches.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I used NiMh rechargeables since I started playing.  To assure a more complete charge cycle, once my Garmin Oregon is done with them, they get moved to my digital pocket camera, and then ultimately to my headlamp, before they return to the charger.  Doing this helps the batteries maintain 12-hours per charge for a couple of years before they start to fade.

I've tried Eneloop XX with 2500 mAh (I think) and had to toss them all away last year. They lose capacity much faster as the standard ones, so after a few days/weeks you're at 2000 mAh anyway. And they didn't last very long, it seems they degrade over time, not only because of recharge cycles. So I'm back to the old Eneloops.

It is not just about the batteries you choose - you need a good charger and good practices in charging protocol! My Eneloop being charged by MAHA Chargers are still going since 2006 for both GPS and Camera And wireless  mouse. I have GPSMap 72CSX - they have out performed and gone the distance each time on multi day trips! Consider Thomas Distributing - good products and good reading as well! Google rating and read them all! Some say no difference - I say Eneloops are great! 

Edited by GPS-Hermit
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, GPS-Hermit said:

It is not just about the batteries you choose - you need a good charger and good practices in charging protocol! My Eneloop being charged by MAHA Chargers are still going since 2006 for both GPS and Camera And wireless  mouse. I have GPSMap 72CSX - they have out performed and gone the distance each time on multi day trips! Consider Thomas Distributing - good products and good reading as well! Google rating and read them all! Some say no difference - I say Eneloops are great! 

A 'smart'  charger like the Maha is VERY important. Even though they are not supposed to develop memories, I have seen where an occasional 'refresh' charging cycle took my batteries from ~1800 mah back to the original 2400 mah.

• Upvote 1