Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Zoltank

eTrex Touch resolution

6 posts in this topic

I currently have a eTrex HCx and I'm looking to replace with something that supports Birdseye imaging. I'm currently looking at the eTrex 20x and the eTrex Touch 25. I really like the idea of a touch screen, but the Touch has half the resolution of the 20x, and I'm afraid with Birdseye images it would be really limiting. 

I was hoping someone might have some input on this.

Get an Oregon if Birdseye if important.  The little etrex screens and their slow processors will not make you happy.

There was literally a recent thread on this very same topic only a few threads down. You might find some good information there. 

16 hours ago, Red90 said:

Get an Oregon if Birdseye if important.  The little etrex screens and their slow processors will not make you happy.

I started with an eTrex 30 and loved it. Later when I added BirdsEye, trail map overlays and tracks, the slower processor got overwhelmed and would take up to 20 seconds to redraw the map when I would pan the map a full 'page' or more or zoom in/out. I prefer the 'track up' display. Even turning 90 degrees would trigger a long redraw. It didn't get really slow until I loaded it up with all those overlays. 

I have a 64st now and the screen redraws are almost instant. The higher models have much faster processors. If you're going to invest in BirdsEye, invest in a higher powered unit to take full advantage of that. 

Alternately...

Android phone + Locus Map Pro + Locus Map Tweak = satellite imagery + caches + high-res screen.

I use the imagery on occasion; it's handy.  The price is right too.