Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Saved by God's grace

Radio Beacon Caches?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building out a series of gadget caches in my local area, and as a ham, I'm considering including a radio-related field puzzle for one of the caches in the series. I know of a few already (chirp caches, etc.), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any existing cache listings along these lines. Also, if you have any thoughts or suggestions for implementing radio into a field puzzle, feel free to toss that in too! ;)

Edited by Saved by God's grace

World is full of radio caches. Most of them are marked with special attribute. You can try to find some interesting listings from this challenge cache: https://coord.info/GC5KREW

What I have seen, the problem in many radio caches is the power consumption. Devices powered by coin cells needs constant maintenance. That is why so many radio caches locates near or inside the home of the cache owner.

Just a few ideas:

• Incorporate morse code
  • Incorporate Q-codes into clues? (QRJ, QRV, QRZ, QSS, QST, QTH, QUC)
  • Use resistor colour codes to write out coordinates (Apparently the mnemonic I was taught to remember the colour codes is not politically correct.)
  • Clues where each cache in the series identifies a component for a simple circuit, and cacher has to email you a correct answer to be able to log success? (Maybe the web page for the cache has a "fill in the blanks" schematic. It could be a block diagram to make it more easier, and the "components" could be "Mixer", "VFO", "RF Filter", etc.)
  • Beacon the first cache location as an object with APRS (from your home or club APRS node) (aprs.fi could be referenced for people without APRS radios.)
  • https://www.socialhams.net/m/documents/view/socialhams-APRSCaching
Edited by ObeliskAG

13 minutes ago, ObeliskAG said:
  • Clues where each cache in the series identifies a component for a simple circuit, and cacher has to email you a correct answer to be able to log success?

That design ("email the cache owner") is not permitted under the geocache listing guidelines.  Switch to an autoresponder or a geochecker that accepts input other than coordinates, however, and you're all good.

Excellent ideas @ObeliskAG! I might have to take advantage of a few of those--I'm beginning to get a concept now, utilizing Raspberry Pi or Arduino to create a low-power AM transmitter, and have it give off morse for the coords...and then perhaps some of your ideas at the actual cache for the field puzzle. And @Keystone, point well taken; thanks for pointing that out!