Garmin maps

gobogey

There may be more issues than simply putting files onto a memory card.  But sure, you could try that. Copy the same directories and files to the new card.  In the case of identical conflicting map file names, you must rename them.

The thread title is "Garmin maps".  If these "micro sd cards" were sold by Garmin with the maps on them, you can't easily copy them.  If instead these are Garmin map files that you downloaded and placed on various cards, the maps might work if they are registered to your GPS.

Edited by kunarion
19 hours ago, kunarion said:

There may be more issues than simply putting files onto a memory card.  But sure, you could try that. Copy the same directories and files to the new card.  In the case of identical conflicting map file names, you must rename them.

The thread title is "Garmin maps".  If these "micro sd cards" were sold by Garmin with the maps on them, you can't easily copy them.  If instead these are Garmin map files that you downloaded and placed on various cards, the maps might work if they are registered to your GPS.

Although this thread is titled Garmin maps it could mean maps that work on a Garmin GPS, but not necessarily created/sold by Garmin.  I've put those free OSM maps onto an external micro SD card with different names.  Give the cost of a micro SD card these days, using multiple SD cards with different maps sets is a viable option.  The free open street maps for Garmin also gives you the option of creating a single mapset with multiple non-contiguous regions.  For my last trip to Europe I created one mapset that covered areas in Germany, Denmark, FInland, and Sweden but since I was flying in between those countries I didn't need maps that covered areas in between.

19 hours ago, on4bam said:

Be sure to use Javawa to organize your maps. It makes life a lot easier being able to change names/descriptions should your maps be OSM and have the same name.

I have several maps on my Or600, OCM, OSM, different areas/countries  that I enable/disable as needed.

I'd never heard of Javawa before but it looks like a nice suite of tools.  Thanks for the pointer.

If you are talking about a microSD card from Garmin with preloaded maps, the answer is maybe.  If they are locked maps then they are locked to the card and won't work if moved.  If they are unlocked maps, then you should be able to get it to work.

Please provide more specific details on what products you are dealing with.