Keeping to the mission...

Dizzy_Lizzy_

I picked up a trackable in Byron Bay Australia.  After moving on and logging it, I didn't have time to drop it in a safe spot in Australia before my flight to Europe.  With some experience finding caches with missing trackables, I try to only swap one out for another and try not to keep hold of one for too long, but I have inadvertently sent a trackable to England, therefore diverting the mission massively... it being a race as well.  I feel really bad but I'm hoping it's seen as creating the race more interesting.  Am I a terrible person?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Dizzy_Lizzy_ said:

I picked up a trackable in Byron Bay Australia.  After moving on and logging it, I didn't have time to drop it in a safe spot in Australia before my flight to Europe.  With some experience finding caches with missing trackables, I try to only swap one out for another and try not to keep hold of one for too long, but I have inadvertently sent a trackable to England, therefore diverting the mission massively... it being a race as well.  I feel really bad but I'm hoping it's seen as creating the race more interesting.  Am I a terrible person?

Gosh no!  A terrible person would have chucked it in the trash.  This is just "life happens."

Before smartphone days (the hobby started without 'em...), and unless a mission was attached to the trackable, you didn't know it's mission until you got home.  Many trackables were "off mission" just by heading a different direction, or by simply being removed from the cache (part of a bonus maybe).

With all the many issues with these things lately, I believe the TO would be happy that it's at least still in play.  :)

18 hours ago, Dizzy_Lizzy_ said:

Yes but the logic I see is if I have discovered a cache that has a trackable in... it's reliable to leave one there.

Logical, and a good practice for leaving trackables in a cache where they are likely to be picked up and moved along.  I don't always "swap" though, and for various reasons.  Sometimes I'll drop a trackable or two off  in a cache that has none (I use one of my hides to place trackables that I am starting on a journey, or that I haven't found a suitable drop off place for).  Or I'll grab a trackable froma cache but have none to replace it with.  Or one we came across that had a dozen or more trackables (it was STUFFED with them!) so we (hubby and I) each took 3 and left none, it was still full of trackables!!

On 12/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, Dizzy_Lizzy_ said:

As a travel bug owner, I am just thrilled to see them move even if it is in the wrong direction. Too many just disappear. I have one right now in Japan that was suppose to go to Key West, Florida. I was just thrilled the person who took it there logged a beautiful photo of my travel bug. Not all travels have to be a straight path.

• Upvote 2