Found cache with no page = no way to log online?

xeroxdocuprint

Hello, I am new to this, but a couple of weeks ago I found a cache that I am unable to find on this site or the app I use to search for them. I have recently updated to a premium membership and was thinking it might have been hidden but still nothing comes up for it. It was just off trail, essentially in the opposite direction of another cache (off the other side of the trail) that I have been able to log. I checked back on it this evening and my name still is the first and only name in the logbook. On the lid is written '!GEOCACHE! Please leave me here :)' so no mistaking what it is. If it's brand new does it sometimes take days or weeks to appear so it can be logged? Thanks!

There are many different things that could have happened. If it is just on the other side of the trail from one you found then it is to close to another cache to be published.  If it is at least .1 mile from the other cache it could be the end to a puzzle or multi but still would be odd no one else had found it. Maybe someone placed it not knowing it was to close to another cache or something and it couldn't be published and never picked it up. Maybe the CO of the nearby cache hid it as a back up so if there is a problem with his/hers they could just list the new coords and say it was replaced.  Weird thing to happen to someone so new.  Hope you can figure it out!

It may have been hidden without checking for other caches. Then when the owner went to publish their cache it was denied for proximity issues. I’ve found about 5 caches near other caches over the years. The owners never went back to retrieve them. 

Edited by L0ne.R
typo

We have a friend who leaves caches at cool spots they've been when doing something other than this hobby, and they're left there maybe for months before they decide to finally have them published.  Every once-in-a-while check for "nearby" caches where you were and it might appear sometime.  :)

Could be similar (waiting publication), or as others said, proximity  issues left it dead.  If that's the case, you'd think the CO would have picked it up.

Edited by cerberus1
19 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

There are other listing services and the cache may be listed on one of those.  I once found two magnetic caches on the same sign - one listed on this site and one listed on the geocaching Australia site.

That's a good point, the OP could check the Opencaching site just to be sure. 

My guess is it's not listed on another site because the owner took the time to write: '!GEOCACHE! Please leave me here :)' People who list on the other site(s)--at least in my experience--write the name of the other site on the cache and/or log, so that people will go to the site to log their find and let the CO know it was found. 

Edited by L0ne.R
11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

There are other listing services and the cache may be listed on one of those.  I once found two magnetic caches on the same sign - one listed on this site and one listed on the geocaching Australia site.

I would say that the fact it was never found or signed would indicate it was not listed on another site but then again I am not sure if anyone looks at those other sites to go find it.

• Upvote 1