Is gc dot com down or is it just me?

stebu

Seeing some serious latency issues this morning.  Started out able to access the site with no issues, but now it's taking a minute or more to pull up geocache pages, such as GCAD6.  Not seeing it on the forums or on other websites, so it would appear this is on the geocaching.com server end.

I just received seven routine e-mails from GC regarding caches in my area (including one new cache publication), but when I click the link in the e-mail leading to the cache page, the correct title appears in the browser tab, but the little spinner thing (please forgive the technical jargon) just keeps spinning, and the page content never appears. The overall site appears to be up and running, but something is hanging up when it comes to either fetching cache data or displaying the result.

I also cannot login. My browser gets stuck loading with a "waiting for www.geocaching.com" message. I tried clearing my Cache and Cookies and rebooting, which allowed me to load the website (logged out), but when I tried to login I again had the same problem. This is happening on Firefox on my PC. I tried to open the site on my smartphone (Chrome on Droid OS), but it wont load there either.

1 hour ago, Joshism said:

I also cannot login. My browser gets stuck loading with a "waiting for www.geocaching.com" message. I tried clearing my Cache and Cookies and rebooting, which allowed me to load the website (logged out), but when I tried to login I again had the same problem. This is happening on Firefox on my PC. I tried to open the site on my smartphone (Chrome on Droid OS), but it wont load there either.

After not working for me for about an hour, the site is finally working normally again.

Update: and after another hour it's still working, albeit sporadically and sluggishly. Some cache pages I open are loading promptly, others take several minutes.

Edited by Joshism
update

Any updates on the 'slowness' issue?  I've been seeing it off-and-on over the past few weeks. Cache pages taking longer than normal to load and field notes (new version) showing the green spinner for a while before allowing me to edit and post them.

Normally use Firefox, so maybe it's related to the new Firefox update to v57? The 'slowness' is intermittent, but has become quite an annoyance. I haven't had large blocks of time to be online lately, so I'd like the site to work normally when I do carve out some time to use it.  I've tried loading pages with Chrome and Edge and haven't seen the slowness there, although I also rarely use those two browsers, so it could just be a coincidence.

45 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I've tried loading pages with Chrome and Edge and haven't seen the slowness there

I am using Chrome and in the last week, I've witnessed intermittent slowness almost every day. When it occurs I try again half and hours later and, usually, things go back to normal.

18 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

We are doing a replacement of some server infrastructure and ran a test that didn't go as well as hoped. There will likely be a few more of these temporary blips through the day at the team works through the issues.

Thanks for the update! :)

I've been sitting on a "Submit for review" for about 15 minutes now, with nothing seeming to happen.

The text has been updated but the attributes haven't and it still shows as not yet submitted.

I'll leave it running over lunch.

EDIT:  43 minutes later it hasn't changed, so I've cancelled it.

Edited by Gill & Tony
16 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've been sitting on a "Submit for review" for about 15 minutes now, with nothing seeming to happen.

The text has been updated but the attributes haven't and it still shows as not yet submitted.

I'll leave it running over lunch.

EDIT:  43 minutes later it hasn't changed, so I've cancelled it.

I had a very similar problem yesterday trying to add a cache to a bookmark list. I suspect the cause is the same. I can't say whether it was resolved: I just left the page waiting to add the bookmark and forgot about it, and the request had completed and the bookmark was in place this morning.

On 04/01/2018 at 6:31 PM, thomfre said:

It would be nice if someone from Groundspeak could acknowledge the problems, and let us know what's happening :)

Isn't it what the "announcements" forum is for? But Groundspeak haven't posted to that since July 2017

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/4-announcements/

Site is down yet again. Could you advise with some timescales how long this is going to go on for? Thanks

Edited by -KROP-
clarifying which forum....