Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
John_Minkema

Difficulty/Terrain Rating Help

10 posts in this topic

What would you rate the Difficulty and Terrain for a cache hidden 3 miles down a flat well defined hard packed trail, hidden about 16 feet up an abandoned telephone pole?

Some may need a TOTT trade to help make the climb and others may free climb it.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that some may/may not need TOTT.  I still have an old climbing spur set (not used for live trees), but younger may be able to shimmy up.

Is the cache visible from below?  If no, I'd say maybe 3/3 or 3/4  for height and distance,  and if trees close enough were the pole's not an obvious first choice.  ;)     2/3 or 2/4 if description kinda says that pole's it.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, John_Minkema said:

Some may need a TOTT trade to help make the climb and others may free climb it.

If you climbed yourself, it is T4,0 but if you used a tool then it is T5.0. If you are not sure, you can safely set it to T4.5.

1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, cerberus1 said:

I agree that some may/may not need TOTT.  I still have an old climbing spur set (not used for live trees), but younger may be able to shimmy up.

Is the cache visible from below?  If no, I'd say maybe 3/3 or 3/4  for height and distance,  and if trees close enough were the pole's not an obvious first choice.  ;)     2/3 or 2/4 if description kinda says that pole's it.   

there are trees and bushes covering the pole.

The cache is visible from the ground but does not appear to be a cache, there is an old piece of equipment on the pole the cache is hidden on  

0

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, arisoft said:

If you climbed yourself, it is T4,0 but if you used a tool then it is T5.0. If you are not sure, you can safely set it to T4.5.

I used a ToTT to place the cache, but I am not a very strong climbers and not a fan of heights.

0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, John_Minkema said:

I used a ToTT to place the cache, but I am not a very strong climbers and not a fan of heights.

I always make terrain rating depending my own experience. No professional electrician would climb to pole without proper equipment.

0

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, John_Minkema said:

I used a ToTT to place the cache, but I am not a very strong climbers and not a fan of heights.

 

Are you attempting a 5 and your reviewer disagrees? I have experience with that, but may be misunderstanding somewhat.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1