Correct log date for TBs when logging in field using Geocaching app

knhdah

Would it be possible to correct the incorrect date problem when logging TBs in the field, using the Geocaching app?  No matter what time of day that I log them, it always shows them as found the next calendar day.  I realize I can log them from the Geocaching website, and they will load with the correct date.  But I like to do them while I'm at the cache so I don't forget.  And I cache using the app, not the website.   Then when I get back to my computer, I basically have to re-log each entry, so I can correct the date.  This gets to be really time consuming and tedious, especially when you have multiple TBs and have them visit multiple caches in a day.  In fact it's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up having anything to do with TBs, other than the ones I own.  I know in the big scheme of things, this is a small-ish thing.  But still it's annoying and seems like it would be an easy fix.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Thought I remembered seeing this issue a couple times before, yours was September.

- Another is one who never came back to say if it ever got fixed or not (and apparently left the hobby).

Weird problem, especially if continuing.   I'd think if this was a bug with the app, more folks would be complaining about it.

Maybe try a mail to Groundspeak's  Help Center, and see if they can get this straight for you.  :) 

I, too, use the app to cache.  BUT, I do all my trackable logging via the website after the fact.  I use drafts at each cache to log my visit, and make trackable notes.   Then, when I'm using the website and my laptop, I log each visit from the draft, and log the trackable visits, drops, and retrievals.  I like to post photos with the trackable visits, and that's much easier to do on the website.  I find it too confusing to try and log all the trackable activity on the app - I do it all via the website, based on notes made as drafts in the field.

In sum, I use the app to find the geocaches, make drafts in the field at the cache sites, but wait to do my final logging and trackable activity via the website on my laptop later.  I usually get to it the same day (I try!) but if it takes a day or two, so far that has not caused any issues.

This is still an issue.  I just emailed Groundspeak although they said they'd rather I report this in the forum.  Looks like GS is ignoring this issue in the forum. :(  I find this annoying as I am discovering / maintaining TBs in my TB hotel and my discover is dated BEFORE the TB is paced in the hotel. lol

Edited by ILuvAZ
wanter to select notify me of replies but that is not available.
  • Upvote 1
On 3/7/2018 at 6:24 PM, ILuvAZ said:

This is still an issue. 

Agreed - I was on a recent road trip/vacation and used the app to do some trackable activity (drops, specifically, so I wouldn't forget which cache I dropped which trackable into).  When I went to the computer to complete my logs and verify stuff later int he day, all the trackable activity was dated the next day.  I was in Oregon,in the same time zone as GS HQ, yet the logs were dated the following day.  I was able to correct them all by editing the logs, but it was extra steps to get the logging accurate, and have the drop made the same day I visited/logged the cache.

• Upvote 1

I was reading the forum and discovered this post so I took a look at my recent TB logs. It does appear to still be an issue.  I used the official app to log TB's just a few days ago and the date for all the logs is one day off.  Grrr.  How does an app get the date wrong?  Hopefully it is something stupid like using the wrong time zone or something.  Now, do I go back and fix all the dates, or just let it be?  Bummer.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, sporfrog said:

...  Now, do I go back and fix all the dates, or just let it be?  Bummer.

That's entirely up to you - in the grand scheme of things, one day off on logs is not going to matter a great deal.  However, if you are OCD about stuff, it WILL matter!  Maybe no one will ever notice a discrepancy between your drops, retrieves, and visits and the days you "found" the caches.

• Upvote 1

This was definitely an issue. I'm wondering if it's been fixed now though. I logged a TB drop yesterday and the TB log showed up with the correct day, instead of showing a log date one day ahead.

However, the photo I attached to the TB log (via the app) was assigned the one day ahead date. Had to edit the date on the photo.