Release Notes (Website: Dashboard) - December 18, 2017

Release Notes (Website: Dashboard) - December 18, 2017

We’ve made improvements to the events calendar on your Dashboard with our latest release. You can now customize the radius in which you’d like to see events on your calendar from 1 mile up to 100 miles or kilometers. Mega and Giga-Events are also highlighted more prominently on the calendar.

Dave W. (HiddenGnome) from HQ’s Web Team is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Unrelated comments may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

I selected a limit of 20km, and get events 50km away? For a website dedicated to a game based on high-precision GPS, this is surprisingly inaccurate ;) .

Oops! It looks like we got our math mixed up converting from kilometers to miles. We are fixing this and will have an updated shortly.

1 hour ago, Gillala said:

Hmmm, 20km*1.6=32km < 50km ! There has to be some other miscalculation...

We are currently treating it as 20km*1.6 = 32 miles - which is then passed to a different system. The 32 miles is then correctly calculated as 51.2 km which is why you are seeing events that are further than expected. :blink:

Obviously, it should be 20km/1.6 = 12.5 miles.

Update: This has been fixed ^_^

Edited by HiddenGnome
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:

We are currently treating it as 20km*1.6 = 32 miles - which is then passed to a different system. The 32 miles is then correctly calculated as 51.2 km which is why you are seeing events that are further than expected. :blink:

Obviously, it should be 20km/1.6 = 12.5 miles.

Update: This has been fixed ^_^

Great, thanks for the quick fix :)

A nice feature that works! Thanks for listening to the community.

Do you treat CiTos as Events? Also, is it possible to extend the months displayed? I only get events up to January but there would be events in February and Megas as well. Why would you limit that anyways?

Edited by famerlor_dragon
12 minutes ago, TimmetjeTim said:

I must say the dashboard is really coming into shape now! The only thing I miss is when viewing it on my iPhone; I only get to see the quick links and not all the other widgets, can you make them show up on small screens too?

Yes please. I always set my phone browser to desktop. Annoying, but not as annoying as turning my phone as orientation is locked (since c:geo reloads map tiles on turning the phone).

Edited by famerlor_dragon

The search radius is a much-needed enhancement. Thanks!

The feature that keeps me using our locally maintained Google calendar of local events is the event times. With the dashboard widget, I still need to click on the event to see when it is scheduled, which can make all the difference in whether I am interested in the event.

I was looking at my dashboard "nearby events" calendar, and I noticed the calendar showed that I was going to attend an event that had been archived before the event occurred.  Only by deleting my Will Attend log did the calendar no longer show that I would be attending or that the event existed.  Perhaps some "if not archived" logic could be added to the calendar display logic.

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I was looking at my dashboard "nearby events" calendar, and I noticed the calendar showed that I was going to attend an event that had been archived before the event occurred.  Only by deleting my Will Attend log did the calendar no longer show that I would be attending or that the event existed.  Perhaps some "if not archived" logic could be added to the calendar display logic.

Thank you for the feedback! I will add a ticket to have that updated.

Thanks a lot of this calendar update. Sure, my calendar looks more empty now that I've chosen 50km (still too big for me), but it's more realistic with regards to what I would drive for an event in some circumstances.

Can I add a request for second temporary 'home coordindates', for example for vacations and other travel? I could see this two ways: switching between home and temporary home in the calendar (and new cache notifications?) or only temporarily enabling the latter and hence disabling the actual home coords at that time.

On 12/19/2017 at 3:15 PM, Jerry+Mary said:

We live in rural Nebraska and most events are over 100 miles away.  I don't suppose you would consider raising the limit.

When we have experimented with a larger radius we begin to experience performance issues especially in dense areas as the number of events that are being rendered in the widget can exceed 500. We do not have plans at this time to increase the radius on the dashboard.

23 hours ago, terratin said:

Thanks a lot of this calendar update. Sure, my calendar looks more empty now that I've chosen 50km (still too big for me), but it's more realistic with regards to what I would drive for an event in some circumstances.

Can I add a request for second temporary 'home coordindates', for example for vacations and other travel? I could see this two ways: switching between home and temporary home in the calendar (and new cache notifications?) or only temporarily enabling the latter and hence disabling the actual home coords at that time.

We had a lot of conversations about adding the option to change the coordinates that the event widget uses. However, when we began looking into the changes that were required for changing the location we found that the complexity that would be required went up significantly.

The goal of the widget is to provide a quick summary of nearby events. We have discussed the option of building out a new Events page that would expand on the functionality of the event widget with more features and customization options. There is no timeline for this functionality, but we recognize that there is room for improvement around the discoverability of events on the website.

11 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:

We had a lot of conversations about adding the option to change the coordinates that the event widget uses. However, when we began looking into the changes that were required for changing the location we found that the complexity that would be required went up significantly.

The goal of the widget is to provide a quick summary of nearby events. We have discussed the option of building out a new Events page that would expand on the functionality of the event widget with more features and customization options. There is no timeline for this functionality, but we recognize that there is room for improvement around the discoverability of events on the website.

No problem, fully understandable. Thanks for discussing, and thanks a lot for giving updates here.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, HiddenGnome said:
On 12/19/2017 at 6:15 PM, Jerry+Mary said:

We live in rural Nebraska and most events are over 100 miles away.  I don't suppose you would consider raising the limit.

When we have experimented with a larger radius we begin to experience performance issues especially in dense areas as the number of events that are being rendered in the widget can exceed 500. We do not have plans at this time to increase the radius on the dashboard.

That doesn't seem like that would be an insurmountable issue.  I note that on the main search page I can just hit the search button and it quickly returns the first page of 3,078,225 results.  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Sherminator18 said:

This is the most recent Dashboard thread I could find. And relates to a feature, I think, is new. When I have events in my Recently Viewed section, they're showing date, but they are showing today's date and not the event date, which I feel is what it should be showing.

That is certainly a problem and I have opened a ticket. We'll have that updated soon. Thank you!