Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Michaelfiles

Belgium Historical Markers

17 posts in this topic

Hi
I created a new group in order to maybe create a new category
Why : Because there is no such thing in Belgium but our neighboring countries have each their correspondents
Holland : Rijksmonumenten - Dutch National Monuments
Germany : Deutsche Denkmallisten - German Monument Registers
France : Monuments Historiques Français
So I'm looking for members, Everyone is welcome;) but you can easily understand that the officers are possible Belgians if possible:P
Hoping to have some from each community for easy discussionsB)
What do you think about this ?
Group : Belgium Historical Markers

belgium-Patrimoine.jpg

if there are no historical markers in Belgium, I can't see needing or wanting a category for them. it would be a blank category.

25 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

if there are no historical markers in Belgium, I can't see needing or wanting a category for them. it would be a blank category.

There is historical monuments in Belgium, a lot of, but no category, he just want to have a category as neighbours countries, and as Australian, a recent category.

But the best is to provide website link of Belgium historical monuments to understand better

4 hours ago, Alfouine said:

There is historical monuments in Belgium, a lot of, but no category, he just want to have a category as neighbours countries, and as Australian, a recent category.

But the best is to provide website link of Belgium historical monuments to understand better

Alfouine, In Belgium, it is the communities / regions that manage the classified heritage
As Belgium is made up of 3 communities and 3 regions plus certain subtleties in the functioning, they exist 4 sites to consult if one wants to make a complete inventory of the classified sites / monument moreover each site is only readable in the language of the region only Brussels is in two (French & Dutch)
Here for your info
Portail de la Wallonie : Patrimoine
Agentschap Onroerend Erfgoed

Das Kulturerbeportal der Deutschsprachigen Gemeinschaft Belgiens

Découvrir notre patrimoine bruxellois

I guess that first you may need to decide whether you wish to Waymark historic markers or heritage properties. Almost exclusively, categories are designed and written to focus on one or the other. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a category that includes both. Many areas have both a historic markers category and a heritage properties category. Unfortunately, here in Canada only Ontario has both categories.

Keith

Even though the category title is Histoire du Qubec (Quebec Historical Markers), most of the waymarks are heritage properties.  This category is an example that combines markers and properties.

Yes:P, I have now 3 Belgium membre in the group:) so I can now begin to create the rules for Editing the Category
I still hope that other Belgian members will join the group, especially Flemish and German speakers.
Thx to all other membre that support this group;) I count on you to advise me well :rolleyes:

I think the first and most important thing is to exactly define what you want to have waymarked. This is not clear yet.

We do already have a lot of categories that are similar in other countries. You can group most of them in two segments:

1. The markers categories. These categories are really for the markers. Usually large plaques with texts about the history of a location.

2. The heritage categories. These are for sites, buildings, monuments and other structures that are listed in an official inventory. Some of the them have an official marker on site, usually only a small plaque with a symbol.

What you have written so far, here in the thread as well as in the group description, looks like you would look for the markers. This would not be my approach. Because:

The markers are all the same; the markers are not interesting, they only indicate that there is something interesting. The interesting thing is the building or monument.

I don't know about Belgium, but in my area these plaques are very rare. (I have waymarked many listed objects in France, Germany and Switzerland. All three countries do have an official plaque in theory, Germany and Switzerland blue-white like the wallonian one, France red-white. The numbers: 50 monuments historiques in France, plaques seen: about 10. 12 German protected monuments, plaques seen: 0. Over 800 protected monuments in Switzerland, plaques seen: ZERO)

I would concentrate on the listed objects and forget the markers. You have the official lists, so you do not need a physical proof of the status.

And for the large markers with a lot of text. They have an international catch-all category for areas without a local category: Signs of History.

Edited by fi67
typos

2 hours ago, fi67 said:

fi67
In Belgium we speak mainly of protected monuments / sites which are in Wallonia only +/- 30000 but in those there are still those who are classified (+/- 4000)
And among these there are still those we call "Patrimoine exceptionnel de Wallonie" which there are now only 220. It is on these that I want to focus (only those who can in more to be "marked" of the famous blue initials) (look the WM you declined : Le Perron - Liège Belgium )
And it is the same principle in the other regions (except in Flanders now another acronym for the new ones since the regions acquired this competence)

It's a little thanks to you that I started all these steps :P;)

I hope this category does better than Belgium Benchmarks.

And don't forget that markers can already be submitted to "Signs of History".

Keith

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

And don't forget that markers can already be submitted to "Signs of History".

Keith

No, because I had just proposed a WM in this category  ( Le Perron - Liège Belgium) and it was declined:o

And the reason was : "I am sorry, but this category is not for these signs. It is for plaques with a descriptive text. There are some regional categories for protected objects, but I think not yet for Belgium"
And that's why I started the process to create this categoryB)
Michael

"We are looking for signs with approximately 50 words..."

I suspect that your sign was declined because it had no words.  I have "Signs of History" waymarks in Belgium that included many words.

Edited by elyob

13 hours ago, elyob said:

"We are looking for signs with approximately 50 words..."

I suspect that your sign was declined because it had no words.  I have "Signs of History" waymarks in Belgium that included many words.

Exactely, it was only the blue wish you can see on the first Post :rolleyes:

On 12/17/2017 at 4:23 AM, Michaelfiles said:

Yes:P, I have now 3 Belgium membre in the group:) so I can now begin to create the rules for Editing the Category
I still hope that other Belgian members will join the group, especially Flemish and German speakers.
Thx to all other membre that support this group;) I count on you to advise me well :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion, though you meet the officer requirement for your proposal at least one officer should be more experienced. This will assist you in navigating the process of writing the proposal.

"especially Flemish and German speakers".Do not overlook English, as tourists do visit Belgium from around the world that may not necessarily speak or read Flemish or German.  . 

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Just a suggestion, though you meet the officer requirement for your proposal at least one officer should be more experienced. This will assist you in navigating the process of writing the proposal.

"especially Flemish and German speakers".Do not overlook English, as tourists do visit Belgium from around the world that may not necessarily speak or read Flemish or German.  . 

1. ok for your suggestion, but if I have to choose I would have a clear preference for a neighbor of Belgium:P
2. Don't worry, is not to overlook English(but personally I prefer first local languages:), my personal opinionB)), but to have people who know well the region where we propose a WM