Access intial cache details (for Reviewer)

Doc_musketeers

Is there a way to review the detailed description required when submitting a new cache? I don't recall what that field was titled but it's where details are given only to the Reviewer. The Edit feature lets me alter the public description but I don't see that information anywhere on my caches. I recently reported a maintenance issue on a Find and the CO offered it to me for adoption in a message. If they follow through, and I gain "Owner" access I'd like as much info on the original hide as possible.

What you see, is basically what you get.   It may be self explanatory, but when you take over ownership of the Listing page through the Adoption process, you basically gain control over the page, like to Edit or add Waypoints and Attributes for instance.

What you WON'T see, is the original conversation in the Notes to the Reviewer, or notes posted by the Reviewer.  Those log entries are deleted/archived at the time of Publication, and are only available to the Reviewer and HQ to see.

11 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

What you see, is basically what you get.   It may be self explanatory, but when you take over ownership of the Listing page through the Adoption process, you basically gain control over the page, like to Edit or add Waypoints and Attributes for instance.

What you WON'T see, is the original conversation in the Notes to the Reviewer, or notes posted by the Reviewer.  Those log entries are deleted/archived at the time of Publication, and are only available to the Reviewer and HQ to see.

That's too bad. Not only in the case of adoption. I only own a few caches but I can already see how they can "drift." Sometimes I revisit caches I've found and discover that they've literally moved: a magnetic nano is on a different part of a meta fence, for instance. But also, containers get replaced. Sometimes a preform tube becomes a bison which becomes a nano, etc. I log any changes I make, but I could actually see "losing track" of some details over the years. 

9 minutes ago, Doc_musketeers said:

That's too bad. Not only in the case of adoption. I only own a few caches but I can already see how they can "drift." Sometimes I revisit caches I've found and discover that they've literally moved: a magnetic nano is on a different part of a meta fence, for instance. But also, containers get replaced. Sometimes a preform tube becomes a bison which becomes a nano, etc. I log any changes I make, but I could actually see "losing track" of some details over the years. 

I think it's kind of unusual to be given those kind of details at the time of Publication.  You could ask the cache owner if they remember.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Touchstone said:

I think it's kind of unusual to be given those kind of details at the time of Publication.  You could ask the cache owner if they remember.

I guess when I submit a description I usually include why I think that spot "deserves" a cache, what the container was, how it's labeled, how it was hidden, etc. I address anything I thought could be an issue- if the container is a pipe, then I clarify that I've made sure it doesn't appear sinister. I make sure to mention who has jurisdiction over the location and if/what form of permission I needed/obtained

I don't remember exact wording but the request is for any and all information that makes it easier for the Reviewer to visualize the cache.

I recently had to change a "little library" cache from external to internal. My original submission detailed exactly how/where the container was hidden. My logged OM and WN allude to the changes, as does the changed hint. I emailed my Reviewer explaining the change, mentioning that I'd received permission, and inviting comment if necessary. I have access to those emails, but it seems odd that I can't refer back to my original description. It seems almost like part of a contract. If I said I was hiding an ammo can behind a tree at the edge of a public cemetery, but then change it to a nano hidden in a crevice of a graveyard headstone a foot away, it may not change the coordinates, but it does change the overall nature of the cache and raise some concerns.

3 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Those log entries are deleted/archived at the time of Publication, and are only available to the Reviewer and HQ to see.

If the logs still exist and can be used by the Reviewer, at least it can serve as a point of reference. But it would just be nice if the CO had the same access. And obviously if a cache is adopted, this would help the new CO create some continuity, perhaps even "honoring" the intent of the previous CO.

We found the cache mentioned in the OP fallen from its hiding spot. We were able to reverse engineer basic placement, but perhaps that original description had a detail or two that would help us place this cache so that the FTF could still walk upand find it again.

i do remember that when the cache is in limbo between submission and publication, that note is on the "log," so HQ does view it as important -- at least at that stage!

Yeah ... I tend to give a lot of detail to the reviewer when I'm hiding. It just makes the process go smoother most times.

Those logs are deleted to prevent other cachers reading them, but who knows? Almost nothing is truly "deleted" but rather archived.

The original reviewer just might be able to access and send them to you if you were to ask.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

When I submit a cache and write a reviewer note, I save the email that includes what I said.

Great idea. We are going to start keeping a file (digital or paper ... debating which format is better) for each of our hides. From now on we will print or save all Reviewer correspondence. 

2 hours ago, BC & MsKitty said:

Yeah ... I tend to give a lot of detail to the reviewer when I'm hiding. It just makes the process go smoother most times.

We only have a few hides and so far figure that excessive detail is better than leaving problematic questions unanswered, but that fits our team's neurological predispositions anyway, lol. 

Edited by Doc_musketeers