Installing CN 2013 from SD card to BaseCamp

wwjd7

I purchased CN North America NT 2013 years ago (on an SD card only) and used it in my GPS and I installed it into BaseCamp, used it for years.

Well, that computer died so I'm setting up my new laptop and I can't figure out how I got the maps installed  from the SD Card into BaseCamp. It's basically just two files on the SD card. I've tried dropping the files into various folders, but BaseCamp just isn't seeing the maps.

Can someone tell me how to get the maps from the SD Card installed into BaseCamp? It's probably just some simple step I'm missing. I know I've done it before.

Thanks

36 minutes ago, wwjd7 said:
Can someone tell me how to get the maps from the SD Card installed into BaseCamp? It's probably just some simple step I'm missing. I know I've done it before.

With the SD card inserted on your GPS and with it connected via-USB to your computer, select in the menu "Maps", "Install Maps" in BaseCamp. Did you tried already?

57 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

With the SD card inserted on your GPS and with it connected via-USB to your computer, select in the menu "Maps", "Install Maps" in BaseCamp. Did you tried already?

I tried that but BaseCamp wants to install maps from BaseCamp to the GPS. Apparently there is no option to install maps from the GPS to BaseCamp.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. It was worth a try.
12 minutes ago, wwjd7 said:

I tried that but BaseCamp wants to install maps from BaseCamp to the GPS. Apparently there is no option to install maps from the GPS to BaseCamp.

I think that after it is installed in the GPS you will be able to use it in BaseCamp... at least I can, while the GPS is connected, not after.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
3 hours ago, alandb said:

Basecamp should see the map if it is copied to a "removable" device connected to the computer, such as a thumb drive or in a SD card reader.  In general, BaseCamp will not see this type of map if it is copied to a hard drive.

I haven't tried that but I did as soon as I saw your post. I put the IMG file on a USB Drive. But how do I get BaseCamp to actually look there for the IMG file to load the map?

From BaseCamp, when I select Install Maps, I have the same issue as before, BaseCamp wants to install maps from itself to the USB Drive, not from the USB Drive to BaseCamp.

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble. It's just an IMG file, there's got to be a way to have BaseCamp load it. On my old computer, BaseCamp was happily using the CN 2013 maps. This is frustrating. :/

Maybe it's a Registry thing. I'll delve in there later and see what I can find.

Thanks for all the input from eveyone, it's very much appreciated.

Try putting the map files in folder \Garmin on the USB Drive. Also, copy file \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml from your device onto the USB drive. You don't actually install the map to Basecamp. When you start Basecamp, it should recognize the USB drive just like your device was connected. Give BaseCamp a few minutes to load and index the map (you should see a progress bar in the "Devices" pane while the map is loading. Once that finishes, you should be able to select the map in the task bar drop down map selection menu.

Edited by alandb
Thanks alandb for the suggestion, unfortunately I had limited success.

I created a /Garmin folder on the USB Drive, copied the IMG and GarminDevice.xml to it and fired up BaseCamp. BaseCamp now thinks my Oregon 700 is connected, a good sign. Unfortunately the Maps menu still does not have a selection for the map.

Time to move on, I've spent way too much time on this. If it wasn't for me seeing and actually using my old computer with that map installed in BaseCamp for the last 4 years, I'd say it's not possible yet I've seen it.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

device.png