Travel Bugs other uses

Wenders118

I've bought  travel bugs for my grandchildren for chistmas along with other geocache goodes in the hope at getting them interested in this hobby.  I know the younger ones wont want to leave these in a cache, so is there other ways they can use these travel bugs. Or keep them on the so we can track where they are?

3 hours ago, Wenders118 said:

I've bought  travel bugs for my grandchildren for chistmas along with other geocache goodes in the hope at getting them interested in this hobby.  I know the younger ones wont want to leave these in a cache, so is there other ways they can use these travel bugs. Or keep them on the so we can track where they are?

Um, the tracking tags don't have a GPS chip them that can be used to track it's location.  It's the tracking number of the TB tag is tracked, simply by recording it's location from cache to cache.  Some will construct other objects like hiking sticks,  put it their dogs collar,  and even tattoo (really) the number so that others can "discover" the travel bug.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Um, the tracking tags don't have a GPS chip them that can be used to track it's location.  It's the tracking number of the TB tag is tracked, simply by recording it's location from cache to cache.  Some will construct other objects like hiking sticks,  put it their dogs collar,  and even tattoo (really) the number so that others can "discover" the travel bug.

I see, thanks I did think they had some sort of chip in them, so its good I can now give them the correct information.  I will have into look how you can visit a cache with your TB.

Here's one of ours as an example of how to set up a goal, etc. https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=6931100

you can also see how the logged visits to different geocaches show up on the map. Great opportunity for geography lessons.

Heres an example how you can help them set one up when they do want ton"set one free:" We just have our youngest team member (10) a travel bug. We asked her where in the world she wishes she could visit. She loves birds and chose Australia, where parakeets are native. So we will find some parakeet related object to attach and make Australia its goal, and maybe encourage cachers to take it by other bird-related caches along the way. We even have a specific, difficult-to-reach cache in Australia that we will mention.

Edited by Doc_musketeers

We know of quite a few families that have younger kids.  Realizing that someday they may want their own account, they gave each kid a trackable to log into  every cache they've been to or want to remember  (the "Visit" feature now).

Now if/when they ever start their own account, each has a record of every cache they've found (to back-date log a find).  :)

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We know of quite a few families that have younger kids.  Realizing that someday they may want their own account, they gave each kid a trackable to log into  every cache they've been to or want to remember  (the "Visit" feature now).

Now if/when they ever start their own account, each has a record of every cache they've found (to back-date log a find).  :)

That's a great idea

We also know of a couple (we're one) who won't re-release trackables once they go missing.

- But many re-use that trackable code, and place it on (etch, patch, or even just a sharpie...)  an item that's with them all the time (hiking stick, backpack, hat, etc.), to be discovered by others when at events, or saying "Hi" to someone met on the trail. 

They could simply use the code on their trackable item,  keeping that valuable (to them) trackable safely at home.  :)