New Cache edit page now only 1 coordinate format accepted--very user unfriendly

steve4nlanguage

So when I make new caches I have a general idea where I want to put them, and I make "dummy" listings so that I can get a GC number. Once I've determined the best placement location then I go back and update the coordinates, complete the cache listing, and submit. When I'm in the field determining my exact cache location I use Google Maps which gives me the coordinates in decimal format.

Now, however, with the new  edit page, there is no choice for coordinate formats as in the past. It will accept ONLY ONE format, so-called DDM. I have been searching the internet for a converter, but the only ones I can find convert decimal to this DMS format: N 47°38’ 56.28” E 122°20’53.22” The new edit page will not accept this. 

This seems counterintuitive that Groundspeak would make their edit page "easier" but take away useful features. Anyway, can anyone point me to a converter? I need to go from decimal to their DDM format. Thanks. 

coords enter.jpg

wont accept.jpg

Edited by steve4nlanguage
6 hours ago, kunarion said:

This one's pretty handy:  http://boulter.com/gps/

But use the official App instead (or most any "GPS App"), and you may get DDM coordinates while in the field.

Perhaps it's time that GS brought *back* the Coordinate conversion tool that they used to include on every cache page.  It would be a useful addition to the "Learn about coordinate formats" page.  I haven't checked but does the submission form allow the use of negative values instead of the hemisphere designator?  DDM coordinates with negative values are a valid way of expressing coordinates in DDM.  A positive value for the latitude indicates that it's north of the equator and a negative value indicates that it's south.  Positive degree values for the longitude indicate that it's east of the Greenwhich mean line, negative to the west of it.