Help with bulk gpx downloads to ipad

thedeatons5

Can you guys help me with some steps?

I want to be on my ipad, using cell data, and bulk download (as .gpx) a city’s geocaches to my ipad.

After that I plan to import them into Gaia GPS. (I know the “import into Gaia” aspect works, I’ve tested that).

What is the simplest way to accomplish this, using only my ipad?

Thanks!

James

As far as bulk downloading geocaches for an area, that can be done by running one or more pocket queries, picking a rough center point for the city as the center coordinates and then determining how far out you want the radius to go.  Pocket queries are limited to 1,000 results, so depending on the city, you may need to tinker with the filters and split the query up by using different criteria, such as cache size or type, or by date of publication.

If you need a walkthrough on how to create a pocket query, the Geocaching help center has an article, and there are several different video tutorials available on YouTube as well.

As far as importing to Gaia GPS, not a clue, but if you have questions hopefully someone else can assist.

16 hours ago, thedeatons5 said:

Can you guys help me with some steps?

I want to be on my ipad, using cell data, and bulk download (as .gpx) a city’s geocaches to my ipad.

After that I plan to import them into Gaia GPS. (I know the “import into Gaia” aspect works, I’ve tested that).

What is the simplest way to accomplish this, using only my ipad?

The Gaia GPS iPad App works in concert with its web site, GaiaGPS.com.  You can download one GPX file from a cache page to your map on the site, using Safari.  Is that your current process?

As mentioned, you can make Pocket Queries.  However, the files are then available on Geocaching.com as ZIP files, which the iPad can't directly "unzip" as a PC can.  But if you're ready for a challenge, I found this. That mentions the App "Geosphere", which can import and export Pocket Queries.  So I have an idea:  Make a PQ.  Download it into Geosphere.  Export it from Geosphere to Dropbox.  Load the GaiaGPS.com site using Safari.  Import the ZIP file into GaiaGPS.com from Dropbox.  Now the caches will show up in the Gaia site, and more importantly, in the Gaia GPS App.  Does that seem OK?  That's basically the process to do it all on an iPad.  There may be other Apps, but I don't know if the steps would be any less complicated.  If I may make a suggestion, instead of all of that, unzip and upload PQs to GaiaGPS.com, using a PC in advance of cache hunting.  Or better, use a Geocaching App such as the Official App, and save individual caches, and Lists and PQs for offline use.

The way I've done with Gaia GPS is, run a PQ, download and unzip it and import it into GaiaGPS.com all on a PC.  Then the waypoints and caches appear on the map in the App.  But I only did that because I needed the caches shown on a trail map.  Now that I have that trail on my Garmin Oregon (and also on simpler Gecaching Apps), I don't use Gaia GPS at all.  Gaia GPS is not so great as a Geocaching App.  Plus, deleting out of date cache files and refreshing them would certainly become a pain.  So I never bothered to load another PQ into Gaia GPS, but checking it just now, I see that ZIP files still aren't supported by Gaia GPS.

It would be a good question to bring up on the Gaia GPS support forum, maybe as a feature request.  If the App or the site were to support direct upload of ZIP files (where the Zipped PQ then gets unzipped by the server or whatever), you'd save steps.

Edited by kunarion