Farthest cache

Jayeffel

I look at the statistic  info on cachers just for fun, but I noticed that the "Farthest" is not always accurate. For instancethe one i can tell, my brother is listed with his farthest north cache  as one that is more south than several he has found. Thus is in southern Pennsylvania, he has found maybe a dozen or more in the general area that are farther north than that cache, and g he has some in Colorado.Just wonder how they are determined. I know based on the coordinates used in the cache description, but that cache was not that far off.

11 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

I look at the statistic  info on cachers just for fun, but I noticed that the "Farthest" is not always accurate. For instancethe one i can tell, my brother is listed with his farthest north cache  as one that is more south than several he has found. Thus is in southern Pennsylvania, he has found maybe a dozen or more in the general area that are farther north than that cache, and g he has some in Colorado.Just wonder how they are determined. I know based on the coordinates used in the cache description, but that cache was not that far off.

Just a guess but I think that Furthest North would be the furthest distance relative to the south pole, furthest south would be relative to the south pole and furthest East/West would be relative to the Greenwhich mean line.  My furthest east is in Japan but I suspect that the distance (using a great circle route) would be shorter traveling to the west than the east.  The furthest from home is just that, the greatest distance from ones home location (probably using the great circle route).  For me, that's 9408 miles away.

We live Down Under. A few years ago we found caches in the UK, from Southhampton  to the Scottish Highlands. Imagine our surprise on checking our Furthest stat to find a Southampton find was further from us than our Scottish finds even though Scotland is much further north from our home location. On thinking about it I realised that the earths shape meant that Southhampton was indeed further from us than Scotland.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I do notice that one some profiles,  the one closest to home and the one furthest away are blocked from others. I'm guessing so others can't use it to figure out where you live.  Maybe it somehow messes this up.  I am going to share a pic of mine but if I come home to find my stock of ammo cans and bison tubes missing I am going to be upset!  :)

1111111111111111AAAAAAAAAA.png