..create a table on my cache page?

j0ckser

47 minutes ago, j0ckser said:

I want to create a table on the cache page for a geocache that I am creating. I have tried http://www.tablesgenerator.com/html_tables# but the result is very poor.  I suspect the issue is in the html code used.

The table needs to be 3R6C. Then I need to know how to populate it with more than one word items.

If you're asking how to make a nice-looking table, here's a pretty neat online editor: http://divtable.com/table-styler/

As Touchstone mentioned, the table probably can't be set up fancy like that, on a cache page.  But what people have done in this case is to make the table as desired, take a screen shot, crop and paste, and post an image.  It's not text, but a picture of the table.

• Upvote 1

Screenshot?  Ooo, oooh, ouch.

I know the site does accept HTML tags for tables.  Or it did; I don't dare try editing my cache(s) containing tables right now; changes are afoot.

Could you not just hand-edit the table using standard table, tbody, tr, and td tags?  It's really straightforward.  I offer this cache as an example you could crib from; it doesn't have extra cruft from a table-editing program, just a little hand-applied stying.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Screenshot?  Ooo, oooh, ouch.

I know the site does accept HTML tags for tables.  Or it did; I don't dare try editing my cache(s) containing tables right now; changes are afoot.

Could you not just hand-edit the table using standard table, tbody, tr, and td tags?  It's really straightforward.  I offer this cache as an example you could crib from; it doesn't have extra cruft from a table-editing program, just a little hand-applied stying.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

I placed the table from that cache into my cache just now (the cache I use for placing things into, when there's a Forum question like this), and it worked just fine!  So the site doesn't strip out everything.

And I went back and changed a few letters and numbers in the table, and that worked, too.

Here's the more basic HTML version, which still allows you to type text (such as two lines in each cell) and change the grid size as you like: http://divtable.com/generator/

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, j0ckser said:

the result is very poor

This tool is using both CSS- and HTML-code and the cache desctiption can use only HTML-code. CSS is not possible and the result will be poor anyway.

Practically even pure HTML-solution may not work because the publishing platform filters the code and some features may not work properly. The only reliable way is manual trial and error evolution.

In as simple a way as I can describe, this is a basic table:

<TABLE>  (begins the table)
<TR>    (begins a row)
<TD>    (begins a cell)
put whatever cell content you want here.
</TD>   (ends a cell)
</TR>   (ends a row)
</TABLE>  (ends the table)

So if you want 3 rows and 6 columns in a table, you may format it something like this:

<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
<TD>R1C1 content</TD>
</TR>

... (do 2 more rows)
</TABLE>

It's really pretty simple. No need for divs or css if this is the structure you're looking for.

If you want no border on the table, add border="0" to the table:
<TABLE BORDER="0">

If you want flush cells, so no padding or spacing, add this to the table:
<TABLE CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0">

If you want to align the table to the center of the page, add this to the table:
<TABLE ALIGN="CENTER">

Combine as you wish.
(like <TABLE CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" BORDER="0" ALIGN="CENTER">)

That's the most browser-compatible and simplistic approach. If you want to do more complex things (like backgrounds, joining cells, alignments, formatted headers, etc), that'll take a little more work.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1