Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Citylist

How to use coordinate numbers

15 posts in this topic

Ok, I have tried to figure out where this is now for a couple years and have had no success. I dont know how to enter coordinates to find a place on a map. Any help would truly be appreciated. Here is what I have (picture) Thanks a million in advance :)

DSC05548.JPG

I can't see any relevance to Geocaching by this "auctions.governmentauction.com/view-auctions/".

Hans

Edited by HHL

6 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

So what if there's no relevance to geocaching. [...]

It's off topic for this forum.

13 minutes ago, HHL said:

I can't see any relevance to Geocaching by this "auctions.governmentauction.com/view-auctions/".

Hans

So what if there's no relevance to geocaching.  Someone should be able to help.  Someone smarter than I am.

1 hour ago, Citylist said:

Ok, I have tried to figure out where this is now for a couple years and have had no success. I dont know how to enter coordinates to find a place on a map. Any help would truly be appreciated. Here is what I have (picture) Thanks a million in advance :)

DSC05548.JPG

Although it's not Geocaching, it's probably useful to understand, when working some mystery caches.  The goal is to find the exact property boundaries. It's tricky. If you do it using a handheld GPSr, you get an approximation of the property boundaries.  And the photo doesn't have enough info to provide a starting point (the "beginning").  You'd have to ask someone, such as the property owner, and then you might be given the coordinates.  But you actually start by finding the true "beginning" point, such as iron rebar buried in the ground (use a metal detector).  In the OP's case, you might not even have that.

Here's a page that describes the process, and includes links for more research:
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/153328/how-to-locate-property-corners-using-plat-map-description

Edited by kunarion

Man..........Im just trying to learn something. Thanks for your criticism 

You supplied no map coordinates, only survey related projections and distances. This can be plotted if you had included a start point other than the north corner of lot 66. This is the same as asking someone the location of 123 Smith street and don't specify a city or state. I suggest you look at the link kunarion provided, with the little details you provided the best I can tell you it's between Pecos, Odessa and Grandfalls, Kermit.

Edited by 31BMSG
Edit to add

Thanks for the link kunarion.

There aren't any coordinates to use for this -- it's confusing, because the bearings they give really look like coordinates. 

You need to find the starting point, which is the lot corner.  Then it gives you metes and bounds, i.e., distance and direction to the next corner.  The "North X Degrees East" is a confusing way to put it, but I believe it would translate roughly to: start with the first cardinal direction, then go X degrees from that in the direction indicated last.

From the lot corner, go N 50 W, which is 310 degrees, for 591.8 feet.  Then go S 40 W, which is 220 degrees...etc.

I was curious, so I found this map of the Joseph Howe Pre-emptive Survey (edit: see gallery images 2, 3, and 4 on that page) on another auction, which will probably help.  If I read the map right, the area surveyed is west and north of this road intersection here.

Edited by hzoi

13 minutes ago, hzoi said:

From the lot corner, go N 50 W, which is 310 degrees, for 591.8 feet.  Then go S 40 W, which is 220 degrees...etc.

I was curious, so I found this map of the Joseph Howe Pre-emptive Survey (edit: see gallery images 2, 3, and 4 on that page) on another auction, which will probably help.  If I read the map right, the area surveyed is west and north of this road intersection here.

That's like good old-fashioned pirate's treasure map from novels and movies.  Might be fun to make a Mystery Cache like that (or frustrating for finders, anyway ;)).

If the OP has a general idea of the location, there might already be a boundary line on an online map on a Tax Assessor's web site.

11 minutes ago, kunarion said:

That's like good old-fashioned pirate's treasure map from novels and movies.  Might be fun to make a Mystery Cache like that (or frustrating for finders, anyway ;)).

Those three years spent doing title research during law school came in handy.  (I mean, they paid well at the time, but it's nice I can still use 'em.)

Lot 66 is marked on the maps, so based on my quick and dirty looks at the map and the metes and bounds, I'll take a stab that we're looking at the legal description for Lot 67.  So...here...ish?

OMG you guys know your sh*t! I hadn't a clue until you all pitched in. Thank you so very much for your help. Im beginning to figure out all this coordinate kind of stuff. I didnt even know that these were not coordinates, lol. Well....I just didnt know.

Thanks again, Steve

1 hour ago, HHL said:

Hans

Coordinate formats are relevant to geocaching.   Will respond more later.

1 hour ago, Citylist said:

Thanks again

No problem; it was a nice distraction from a bad day at the office.

Several of my puzzle caches use Ed Williams Great Circle calculator to solve for final coordinates. The calculator can also be used to determine if the traverse closes.

I tried to copy it here but it would not work. Just google it.