My reviewer is awesome

Rebore

1 hour ago, Rebore said:

The "Horrible Reviewer Syndrome" thread gained much more traction than this one. I wonder why?

Well, for one thing, the so-called traction of the "Horrible Reviewer Syndrome" thread was based (at least in part) on tangents like whether or not any and all caches that require remote-control drones should be prohibited.

Also, when people are upset about something, they have more energy to invest in that topic. Speaking only for myself, my initial reaction to "My reviewer is awesome" is a low-energy "and fire is hot and ice is cold."

But now that I've posted to this thread, I'll say that all the volunteer reviewers I've worked with (whether I've worked with them on getting caches published, or in some other context) have all been great. I am amazed at how much these people give to the geocaching community, for what is often such a thankless task.

Thank you all for what you do.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Rebore said:

The "Horrible Reviewer Syndrome" thread gained much more traction than this one. I wonder why?

A car crash typically draws a lot more attention than a car driving normally down the road. :laughing:

Anyway, other than the drone tangent, that other thread was quickly turned into a "My reviewer is awesome" thread because most had nothing but praise for their reviewers.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Rebore said:

Because we were trying to help you. :cool: You were on the edge of a vacation with that thread subject, inviting people to bash G$ volunteers.    And, paraphrasing niraD, negativity has more appeal to many folks.

I couldn't do that, based on my excellent and favorable Reviewer interactions and experiences.

1 hour ago, Keystone said:

Thank you for mentioning honeychile, who is enjoying a well-deserved retirement after around 15 years of service.  The reviewer community misses her good humor and kindness.

I was unaware of her retirement, but found this Geocoin on eBay. Too bad I'm no longer a collector, but she did send us one of her community volunteer TB's once upon a time. :)

She was the best and treated me with respect. I have retired as a cache hider as well. B)

MadMin has been my reviewer since I started in 2010.  She's tough by fair.   If you don't have all your ducks in a row your not getting published.   One time I had to re-work an entire 6 cache series because of 19 feet.  Let's just say I wasn't happy but I admired her insistence on upholding the rules as well as the integrity of the game.

Edited by justintim1999
  • Upvote 1

It's a good thing that reviewers as a rule are rock stars, since we move around every couple years and get to work with new sets.

Many thanks to tupperman, 2, fortwo, GeoPolizei, jeeperMTJ.gc, Don Rocbeer, GC-Knecht, erik88l-r, honeychile, offline.cacher, geoaware, geoawareCA, geoawareUSA1, geoawareUSA2, geoawareUSA3, geoawareUSA7, mtn-man, General Disarray, West Texas Reviewer, and YetAnotherReviewer.  (Whew -- that's 20 so far!)

When I started, mtn-man covered my region. I think he covered a lot of regions at that time, so he wasn't able to be as diligent as many reviewers are today. Still, I never had any issues with him. Since then, those of us in British Columbia have worked with Wizard of Ooze, Scootch (since retired), Cachin' Cricket, saltchuk, Finn Tully (since retired), Skookum Bear, and geoawareCA for EarthCaches. I've met Wizard of Ooze, Skookum Bear, and geoawareCA in person, and they're very nice people. I've also met many other reviewers at various Mega events (including Keystone at the 2015 Block Party!), and they've all been knowledgeable and friendly folks.

50 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I've met Wizard of Ooze, Skookum Bear, and geoawareCA in person, and they're very nice people

I agree and think most reviewes you meet in person are nice guys. But most of the players just submit their listing without ever having contact to one of the reviewers, and mail conversations are completely differnt compared to personal conversation.

Edited by Rebore
9 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Have you ever attended a meet the reviewer event hosted in a pub? :D

No, but what are you trying to convey? If reviewers had enough drinks, they will switch to work mode and just answer like they were working off  the unpublished caches queue? :D

My local reviewer (Hoosier Reviewer) is very speedy in publishing.  I've placed nearly 50 caches and always get published in 24 hours.  My best story is I placed the cache at 7pm Sunday evening, went home and took about 20 minutes to create and submit cache.  It was published by Hoosier Reviewer at 8:10pm, Sunday, and the First To Find was at 8:30pm, Sunday.  The whole process from placing cache to FTF was 90 minutes!

• Upvote 1

Over 9 years and 43 owned caches, I have worked with many reviewers. And they are all great (ok, almost all ... but the exception has long since retired). Always friendly and professional, especially when I try to explore the remote corners of the guidelines :D (the score, on which side of the boundary I ended up, is about 50-50). In fact I sometimes feel sorry for the reviewer, when they have to endure my questions ;) .

58 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

Over 9 years and 43 owned caches, I have worked with many reviewers. And they are all great (ok, almost all ... but the exception has long since retired). Always friendly and professional, especially when I try to explore the remote corners of the guidelines :D (the score, on which side of the boundary I ended up, is about 50-50). In fact I sometimes feel sorry for the reviewer, when they have to endure my questions ;) .

You can't know where the limit is if you don't step across the border from time to time. :)

On 12/9/2017 at 2:39 PM, captnemo said:

I have worked with a lot of reviewers over the years and have never had a problem.  They include Marko Ramius, Sesmic Quark, Lava Lizard, Kosh Naranek, Esquimax and others I don't remember or aren't listed on some of the older caches.

Well done to all.

Marko is awesome 2 minutes to publish my latest!!!!  Of course it was at the same spot as one that I archived but he published it before I could check my email. 

I have worked with BarkingFrogz for three years on each Auburn Geocaching Adventure series, and he has been SUPERB to work with.  I could not be happier about how he keeps me informed about the cache submittals from the COs and if there are any issues.  I work with him, providing as much heads up on who he should be getting submittals from and where the cache is approximately located so he knows what to be looking for.  I'm sure he is just as great on individual cache submittals, but I know that for a group submittal with a timeline requirement for same date and time launch, he has always been terrific to work with.  They could probably all be like that, and if I look back for my individual cache placements, I should check on who my reviewer(s) has been.  I'm usually so happy to get it published, that I don't pay attention to that info.  We should all be thankful for the volunteer work that Reviewers do for our wonderful hobby.

My opportunity to say a big thank you to my reviewer Church Warden who, fully explained the reasons why my cache could not be listed and offered advice on how to rectify the problem.

Great Work

Your time and assistance was greatly appreciated and please accept my apologies for causing the problem!