Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
jez130

Resusitator cache

57 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've got an ammo can cache I placed (in the Northeast) over 9 years ago.   I've only re-visted the cache a few times and have never had to do any maintenance on it.  It's only got 51 finds on it and the last log (a couple of months ago) indicated that it was in good shape.  It's also hidden off the ground so it doesn't spend much time covered in snow or frozen to the ground.  The combination of a good container, how it's hidden, and few finder visits is what make a difference in how ofter a cache will need maintenance.  

I agree.  We noticed though quality may depend on where that container originally came from.

We have an ammo can outdoors on the property since '02, well before we started this hobby, and it's still in fine shape.

A friend who bought a "new" ammo can from a vendor that sells tractor equipment had theirs only last a couple  years before parts started failing.

On 12/12/2017 at 0:06 AM, justintim1999 said:

It's been my experience that over time caches simply degrade so I'm not quite convinced that it's rare for a cache that's not been found in a year to be in need of maintenance.

It's not hard to make a cache that'll last many years or decades without having to be "maintained". Take this one for example: it's stainless steel so it's not going to rust, the hiding place is well inside a wind-eroded cave so it's not going to get wet or be exposed to the sun and it's in an area where the chance of a muggle stumbling across it is negligible. Being a long T3.5 hike, It probably won't get many visitors either - it had two vying for FTF on the first day, a third the day after and just one since then.

Many of the bushland caches around here use a similar approach - a sturdy container in a hiding place protected from the weather - and don't degrade even after many years of service.

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0530small.jpg

On 12/11/2017 at 5:06 AM, justintim1999 said:

...   I also wonder how many finders would look at the time in-between finds and decide to give a cache like this a pass.   I tend to think that if it was recently found more cachers may give it a shot.  

...  I would think that going after caches like these would be challenging and the person who decided to do so would have to be persistent and not overly concerned with the numbers game.  

I look at caches with a long time between finds, or not having been found in over a year, but with no apparent maintenance issues (no DNF's, or an OM posted) as a personal challenge of sorts - I CAN FIND THIS!!  It's gratifying to make a find on a lonely cache!

On 12/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I look at caches with a long time between finds, or not having been found in over a year, but with no apparent maintenance issues (no DNF's, or an OM posted) as a personal challenge of sorts - I CAN FIND THIS!!  It's gratifying to make a find on a lonely cache!

Yes it is, I've very much enjoyed the 15 puzzles, 4 trads and one multi I've managed to find after they have lain dormant for a year or more. Excellent puzzles, long walks or a lot of waypoints to walk between appeared to be the reason those caches had been lonely , and I don't think any of them was abandoned by the C.O.

Strange, isn't it that complex questions about the feasibility or otherwise of project GC lonely cache challenge checkers could be simply side stepped by allowing a challenge to be validated by looking at the actual cache page to establish the date of the previous logged visit !

Just had a coffee break accompaniedby a little idle look around project GC, and noticed there is a lonely cache option in the statistcs tab . It says "The loneliness is calculated by dividing the age of the geocaches (in days) by the number of finds. "

Could that analysis be harnessed to build a checker and allow a challenge I wonder ?

1 hour ago, hal-an-tow said:

Just had a coffee break accompaniedby a little idle look around project GC, and noticed there is a lonely cache option in the statistcs tab . It says "The loneliness is calculated by dividing the age of the geocaches (in days) by the number of finds. "

Could that analysis be harnessed to build a checker and allow a challenge I wonder ?

If other geocachers posting logs to your qualifying cache can turn it into a disqualified cache, then there is an aspect of "Competition rather than achievement" that will not be allowed in a challenge.

10 minutes ago, niraD said:

If other geocachers posting logs to your qualifying cache can turn it into a disqualified cache, then there is an aspect of "Competition rather than achievement" that will not be allowed in a challenge.

For me, logging a lonely cache is not a competition, it is an achievement and not the easiest one. It can be done, if you really want to, but it does not happen without any effort. Effort is not same as competition. But there is a problem. Situation may change before the cache owner check results and then you claim may be cancelled.