Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
fabisa11

drone

58 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, terratin said:

I've not met those yet, but certainly don't want to sit in one of the planes that get filmed and nearly collides with a drone. I also can't say I find drone pilots responsible when they fly their things in a beautiful place and disturb the silence. I don't hike up that mountain with loud music either.

Sorry, but I find you too uneducated about drones that we can have a productive conversation about their use and geocaching.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:06 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Those that go after caches requiring a canoe or kayak can get in a lot of trouble (which includes dying) if they don't use common sense, yet GS hasn't restricted canoe/kayak caches in anyway.  Although it's a moot point, if drone caches were allowed, one would hope that cache owners would not submit a listing for a cache in a location closed to recreational drone use.  That would be breaking the law, and we can't have geocachers which violate local laws.

Paddlecraft are allowed in pretty much any public waterway. Drone use is much more varied and restrictive, and often those restrictions are not obvious to a Reviewer.

5 hours ago, terratin said:

I also can't say I find drone pilots responsible when they fly their things in a beautiful place and disturb the silence. I don't hike up that mountain with loud music either.

Curious whether you actually have experience with drone usage.  Unlike the kids toys,  a drone is usually high enough that you really can't hear them at all.  :)

26 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Unlike the kids toys,  a drone is usually high enough that you really can't hear them at all.  :)

Exactly. They are spy equipment for taking high quality pictures and video. B)

I once took a trail around an undeveloped area, and heard a heavy buzz. Couldn't place it. Then a drone snuck over the nearby mound hovering around me for a bit about 2 storeys up. Thought I might have stumbled on some top secret gov't installation and would be apprehended in minutes. Kept walking, it sped away, but I never found the drone operator. Creepy.  (and I wasn't apprehended)

Edited by thebruce0

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I once took a trail around an undeveloped area, and heard a heavy buzz. Couldn't place it. Then a drone snuck over the nearby mound hovering around me for a bit about 2 storeys up. Thought I might have stumbled on some top secret gov't installation and would be apprehended in minutes. Kept walking, it sped away, but I never found the drone operator. Creepy.  (and I wasn't apprehended)

Wow, that's interesting. Sounds like you were lucky. :lol:

I know in my area most of the East Bay Regional Parks are banning the use of Drones in the parks. Especially over marshes and wildlife habitats.

Most of those marsh areas in the SF Bay area are also approaches to the airports, so they are restricted there.

Edited by Wacka