Ejecting mounted drives on a Mac

I have a new gpsmap 64 with a 16G SD card connected to an iMac via USB. Both the Garmin and SD appear as mounted drives in the Finder, exactly as they should. But when I select both drives and eject both they re-mount before I can unplug the USB cable from the gps. This seems to be harmless so far but does generate a Finder warning on the iMac. My old Etrex Vista HCx doesn't re-mount the drives after eject so this was never an issue.

Any suggestions about why this is happening and what I could do about it?  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

It shouldn't be re-mounting. Sounds like something funky going on with your USB connection. See what happens if you use a different USB port or cable. Are you by chance using one of the new macs that only come with the USB-c ports?

The other thing you can do is go to Setup > System > Interface and use Garmin Spanner, which should prompt whether or not to mount in mass storage mode each time you connect. This way when you unmount the device and it boots back up, you can choose not to go into mass storage, and disconnect safely.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but no success.

The iMac is a 2009 with USB 2.0. I tried several different USB cables, including the Garmin supplied one, into both a USB hub and directly into the iMac. Same result with all, drives remount almost immediately after eject. Also tried ejecting several times but it always remounts.

Tried Garmin Spanner but only the SD will mount, the gps drive never mounts, so gave up on that.

This iMac is getting replaced in 2018 so I'll live with this issue until then. Likely it will behave differently with a new iMac.

I believe there was is known bug with micro SD cards that are ejected in the normal way. Invisible files are created that mess things up. The solution is a little app called CleanEject. After using this every time I had to eject the micro SD card things worked fine. The app deletes the offending invisible files causing the problems.
Read about it here: CleanEject from Javawa GPS Tools  [if there is a pop-up, click the left button to remain in English].

• Upvote 1
On 2/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, Parsa said:

I believe there was is known bug with micro SD cards that are ejected in the normal way. Invisible files are created that mess things up. The solution is a little app called CleanEject. After using this every time I had to eject the micro SD card things worked fine. The app deletes the offending invisible files causing the problems.
Read about it here: CleanEject from Javawa GPS Tools  [if there is a pop-up, click the left button to remain in English].

This does solve the problem I was having. Interestingly CleanEject website notes: 

Note: some devices (like the Garmin Montana and the GPSMAP64) automatically reconnect after ejecting. 

• Upvote 1