Unwanted question marks

FamousEccles

I've recently built and published my first Geocache Wherigo using Ranger Fox Wherigo\\kit.  Brilliant package and results! But I have encountered the following issue that I can't see any reference to on this Forum. My pages all display perfectly on an Android phone, but an iPhone turns almost all punctuation marks (commas, apostrophies, quote marks, etc.) into question marks. Is there a work-around for this please.  I am running RF under Windows 10 and Firefox 57.

Edited by FamousEccles

Oh, that's a fun issue.  It could be caused when someone copies and pastes text from a word processor.  I copied your cartridge and set its zones to my house, then played through it on my iPhone.  I downloaded the cartridge from both the WF site and Wherigo.com, but could not see the question marks you reported.  (And I had attempted to come up with a fix for it, too, if only I could reproduce it.)  If you want, I can send you a test of what I had created before I realized I couldn't reproduce your issue.

While I was futzing with Kit, I also made it so it won't export paragraphs in the cartridge or starting location description.  This should cut down on the issues with Wherigo.com crashing because it sees HTML in those places.  (I might point out that Kit emits paragraphs and not HTML for those, and it's Wherigo.com itself that seems to be putting the HTML in there, meaning it's creating the very problem that causes itself to error.  Joy.)

• Upvote 1

On some pages I cut-and-pasted text from elsewhere, but I also got the problem on text I typed directly into Wherigo\\kit.  For example. I typed the single line "Well done!" (without the quote marks) as the response to a correct multi-option question.  This renders OK under Android but as "Well done?" on at least three different iPhones. Double spaces after periods give space?

Update.

1) Ranger Fox was kind enough to download my Wherigo\\Kit created cartridge and run it on an iPhone at his location.  He saw no stray question marks. I ran the exact same cartridge here in the UK on a UK iPhone and the unwanted question marks are still there. So do UK and US iPhones handle certain characters (commas, exclamation marks, etc.) differently?

2) RF was also kind enough to send me a copy of my cartridge which he had exported by a different method. This works perfectly on a UK iPhone.

3) The problem seems to be unsupported characters introduced by cutting and pasting text from Word and/or web pages. This can almost certainly be overcome by creating a new file using only text typed directly into Wherigo\\kit.

Edited by FamousEccles

Let's see if I can update Kit where only you get access to that update.  I want to see what happens when you tell Kit to build and download.

As of now, when you get the cartridge on Kit, it has the question mark issue.  If you use the cartridge I built on my test version of Kit, you do not have the issue.  When I get your original cartridge on Kit, I don't have the issue.  (This makes it difficult for me to test this.)  So the next step is to see what happens when you pull your original cartridge on Kit with the updates I threw in.

I'm hesitant to release this update until I can be certain it won't affect others' cartridges.  It passes my test cases only because I can't set up a test case if I can't reproduce your problem myself.

Fun times!  After all this, I'll have to update Kit 2.0 and continue my work there instead of the current version of Kit.  (Kit 2.0 will be open source after I'm done so others can contribute.)

I updated Kit. 

The update will only be used if, in your cartridge's details, you put the author to your handle or "test".  Other than those two situations, Kit will act as before.  I mention this so you can download your cartridge with the update doing its thing and then do a download where the update is not used (by changing the cartridge's author's name).

I have my usual suggestion so you don't have to drive out to test your cartridge in the field: make a copy of the cartridge, set all zones' coordinates to where you are, and download the cartridge.

Please let me know if this fixes your issue.  If so, I'll do a few more tests with Kit and then roll it out for everyone.  Since I can't reproduce your issue, I'm relying on your judgement as to if this resolves what you're seeing.  I do want to solve this for everyone because Kit is supposed to be an entry-level builder: people shouldn't have to be made to think about these things until they want to go deeper into Wherigo.