Map and solved puzzles

ormustr

3 hours ago, ormustr said:

I noticed that after solving a puzzle I can update the coordinates and it shows on the map where the cache is, but once I log it as found, it reverts on the map to the original spot.  Is there a way to keep the icon on the map where the cache is located?

That change was implemented a few months ago and described in the June 29th Release Notes thread. There is currently no way to have the website show the found cache at the corrected coords.

One option you could try is to use GPS Visualizer.  This doesn't require downloading/installing any programs, like GSAK, and is processes pretty quickly.

• Run a My Finds PQ  (requires Premium Membership)
  • Download the resulting .zip file
  • Upload that .zip file in the "upload your GPS data files here" section on the right-hand side of the GPS Visualizer page
  • Click the "Draw the map" button

This will open a map with open treasure chest icons representing your found caches.  Caches with corrected coordinates will show at the corrected location. You can change the map layer by using the drop-down window at the upper right of the map. There are some other options too.

FYI:  The page allows uploading multiple files (both as .zip and .gpx), so can be handy for mapping other PQ's too.  Treasure chest icons on the map show as closed for unfound and open for found.

3 hours ago, jellis said:

It still shows up as the corrected cords for me.

After you find a cache, the smiley shows at the corrected coords? That isn't how it's supposed to be working. Sounds like you're experiencing a bug that some cachers (not me) would see as a feature.

Edited by noncentric
  • Upvote 1

Thanks noncentric.  I do wish that once the puzzle cache is logged as found that it would remain where it was found, and not the original spot...it not make sense to me to revert it back to the original spot.  Interesting info about GPS Visualizer.  I have used that site before but for something very unrelated to geocaching, was not aware of this function.

4 hours ago, ormustr said:

Thanks noncentric.  I do wish that once the puzzle cache is logged as found that it would remain where it was found, and not the original spot...it not make sense to me to revert it back to the original spot.

Some cachers may not care to see the cache back at the original coords, but some cachers do want to see them.  Here are some cases when using one, or the other, could be desired:

• When searching for a cache or planning a caching route - want to see corrected location
  • When planning a hide - want to see corrected coords to avoid hiding too close
  • When planning a hide - want to see posted coords to avoid overlapping icons
  • When looking at GeoArt - want to see posted coords
  • Upvote 1

Caches with corrected coordinates should also show up on this page with the red circles to help hiders.  I recently placed a cache that got rejected because I had no good way of easily plotting puzzle caches I'd already found / solved.

I agree that there should be a sticky toggle on the map too.

Edited by brendan714
On 11/29/2017 at 3:49 AM, noncentric said:

That change was implemented a few months ago and described in the June 29th Release Notes thread. There is currently no way to have the website show the found cache at the corrected coords.

Wow, I never noticed that.  Thanks to the OP and noncentric for pointing that out.  I wonder why that was even considered, and met with such praise?  I'd think people would want their maps to show where the caches actually are.  Was it solely for the geo-art reason?

I would MUCH rather have the icon to show where the cache really was.  I cant think of a case where I would want the icon moved back to the original spot after I had solved it.  Makes it a pain when planning to place new hides, or remembering where a cache was located in reference to other hides. I guess a toggle would be ok, but I would personally always leave it toggled to showing where the cache actually was and not some random place the CO had placed the puzzle icon.