Benchmarks as waymarks archived

elyob

This issue should be directed at the-powers-that-be but I will raise it here in the forums first.  My particular concern is with the Canadian Benchmarks Waymarking category but my concern is equally relevant to the other benchmark Waymarking categories.  In my opinion, the benchmark Waymarking categories strive to create a functional and comprehensive database rather than a collection of must-see, must-visit sites.  Therefore, all benchmark waymarks should remain as waymarks no matter what the status of the benchmark.  Benchmark waymarks should not be archived.  Is there a way to lock benchmark waymarks so that they cannot be archived?

For some reason unknown to me, some Canadian Benchmark waymarks are being archived. I am attempting to create replacement waymarks for the benchmarks.  As an example, for the same benchmark I have created WMX488 after WMC9PV was archived.  This task is especially difficult because the archived waymark can be the only surviving on-line record of the benchmark.   Is there a way to seek archived waymarks geographically?

1 hour ago, elyob said:

Is there a way to seek archived waymarks geographically?

If I'm on the same page as you my guess would be to download the GPX files of the entire BM database, then when one is archived you at least have a record of it, geographically speaking.

As to why they are being archived, it could arise from a forum thread of a few weeks ago about archiving Waymarks. A "retired" Waymarker could be deleting their Waymarks, as in "taking their toys and going home". Any idea of whose WMs were archived?

EDIT: I'm assuming the archived WMs are in Ontario.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
8 hours ago, elyob said:

Thank you for your suggestion which will help me track waymarks that are not yet archived.  I do wonder how to seek waymarks that are already archived.

cron was not a prolific waymarker but many of his waymarks were rare finds.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC20619_le-defi-des-reperes-the-benchmark-challenge

Do you think they were removed because of this challenge cache or what? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.

3 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Do you think they were removed because of this challenge cache or what? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.

The only cron waymarks that were not archived were those waymarks required for that challenge cache.  I want to be able to identify any archived waymarks from the benchmarks category.

Edited by elyob