Trying to get gsak to work by a newbe.

Der Versteckfinder

I've loaded gsak, set up my garmin gps and tried to download a geocache site to my Garman.  GSAK displays a green moving line followed immediately by a moving red one and then the window closes with no error messages or any indication that anything is wrong.  There is nothing being sent to my Garmin.  Do I need any Garmin software on my PC? How can I get GSAK to send data? I just started trying to use GSAK and I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.  Any suggestions?

- connect your GPSr via USB to your PC

- note the drive letter that will be assigned to your GPSr  (if no drive letter is assigned, you are not in mass storage mode, you need to change the setting in your device)

- open GSAK and select the database you want to sent to your GPSr

- open from the top menu "file"  -  "Export" - "GPX/GGZ/LOC File"  (see picture1)

-  in the field "File name to create" select the drive letter of your devise (mine is "n", see picture2) the folder "gpx" and create a filename with the extension ".gpx"  You can also select from top right, "GGZ" which will create a compresses fils on your GPSr.

-  Press "generate" and wait a couple of seconds while the database is copied to your device.

Hope this will work for you, Mausebiber

Img2.jpg.8d73c2ab71340b3051c657f314421792.jpg

A useful PDF can be downloaded from this page.

The information is 5 years old, but the basic operations on GSAK have not changed that much, so it's still a good guide.

I have another PDF guide written by a caching friend with technical authoring skills, if you want that one as well send me an e-mail through my profile .

Don't be put off, GSAK can appear enormously complicated but with a little investment of time and thought you can make it do exactly what you want.

GSAK can be a little intimidating, but after you work with it a while, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I use the GPS menu choice to transfer caches from my computer to my gps.

First (one time only) do GPS, setup to choose your gps.

Connect your GPS to the computer

Then...do GPS, send waypoints. Make any final adjustments to the transfer, usually making the choice of GPS devise is the only thing I must do. Click Send. Give it a few seconds and your gps is loaded.