ISS sighting, 15 Dec

vulture1957

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Well, let's try this one. This will be a pass from NW to SE. www.Heavens-Above shows it visible fron between Bozeman MT and Pocatello, ID, over Denver CO, Bethany OK, Tyler Tx and going into shadow just before Baton Rouge LA.

Does anyone know Waymarkers (or Geocachers that would play) in the line of travel?

Send an email to Hamquilter - she’s somewhere in OK, or Outspoken1 who I think is around Denver, if I recall. Where are you, Vulture?

On 12/4/2017 at 5:08 PM, vulture1957 said:

I have written to folks in SE TX, Louisiana, Denver area, and Idaho. Have not gotten any positive responses. Does anyone know Waymarkers or Geocachers that may be willing to do this?

Your partner will be Pahaska_1 near Denver, CO. I have just sent a joint email to both of you, so you should have each others email as well as mine.

If you have questions, just ask.

Good Luck

great news! We have 2 people in the Boise area, one in Colorado, me in Oklahoma and one in Louisiana for the ISS sighting Thursday. With all these people looking, SOMEONE should get a clear view! Hopefully all of us. Still room for others. Anyone know waymarkers in Salt Lake City, western Kansas, southwest Wyoming??

In a personal message vulture1957 sent to me, he asked:

I have 2 guys both around Boise ID that answered my posts for this. Can I/we put both of them on the write-up for the sighting, or do we have to make it 2 separate sightings? (It would just be 2 different 4 player sightings, one person different.) Also, do I "visit" one of the other player's waymark for on this sighting, even if  i am a player, for a visit? 

I responded:

They have to have separate partners because they are too close together. One of the Boise people could pair with Benchmark Blasterz to create a separate pair. The rest will work well together as a foursome (ID, CO, OK, LA.) The LA Waymarker would have to be near the coast, or at least 1 minute of time from you. The ISS passes into the Earths shadow approximately 1 minute and 15 seconds after it passes you and before it gets over the coast. The LA person may have to use that time as his max altitude. You don't count time after the ISS is in shadow. Will his max altitude be over 45° at that time? If not, you can't use him.
Each Waymarker that sees the ISS and creates a Waymark can visit the Waymark that his partner creates. It can be only one visit to the nearest partners Waymark, even if he had more than one partner.
6 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

And we can all "visit" the other team's waymarks!

Not quite. You are allowed one visit per Pass. The visit must be to the nearest partners Waymark from your location.

In this case, where two teams are creating Waymarks for the same ISS Pass, You can visit your nearest partners Waymark that your team created AND You can also visit the nearest Waymark that a member of the other team created.

Also remember that once you have created an ISS Waymark, you are allowed to claim a visit to any future Waymarked Pass that meets the Waymarking requirements (you must see the ISS during that Pass and your observed Max Altitude must be greater than 45°. Your visit should include information for your location (your location, Brightness, Max Alt, and Time.)

6 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I already have achieved this WM, but there is another pass over on the 15th that qualifies at 6:08 PM at 47° if it helps.

You are right. That would be the ISS Pass just before the one that they are doing. The 6:08 pass travels from Toledo, OH to Norfolk, VA.

The pass after the one they are doing will go over San Diego, CA at 76° at 6:16 pm.

Alright! I was out early in quite cool 42 degree temps. Set up my camera on the tripod with the 70-300 lens and a "bulb" cable. Clear skies, and the ISS rose just a bit more West than I was expecting. I had to re-adjust the camera. Took 3 shots, different lengths of shutter open. I'll have to see if anything is usable.

Oh, well. no pictures. I'll have to ask at teh camera club about how to do this, and practice. Once I get it down, I may try for another ISS pass.

Edited by vulture1957
13 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Alright! I was out early in quite cool 42 degree temps. Set up my camera on the tripod with the 70-300 lens and a "bulb" cable. Clear skies, and the ISS rose just a bit more West than I was expecting. I had to re-adjust the camera. Took 3 shots, different lengths of shutter open. I'll have to see if anything is usable.

You did a great job of locating partners. Your Waymark,WMXA5Q, was well written and included all the required data about each of the other observers.

1 hour ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

You did a great job of locating partners. Your Waymark,WMXA5Q, was well written and included all the required data about each of the other observers.

Really, all I did was follow the directions. I tried to cover all the info,

I may have another thing to try sometime. I just got my ham radio license, and hams can contact the ISS and/or bounce signals off it to make other contacts. I'd like to use a sighting to make radio contact. (hmm, thinking while typing - hamquilter is a ham operator, too. maybe I could do a 300 mile road trip to do this sometime and contact her. Have to do the road trip because she lives only about 10 miles from me.) Or.maybe I could find radio operators near other Waymarkers that could do a joint venture.