Oregon 750 won't start

MtnGoat50

I've had this problem twice now and I'm curious if anyone else is seeing it. 

After loading geocaching into my Oregon 750 it locks up on the splash screen and won't start. None of the "hard" resets work and when this happened last summer the unit had to be replaced (under warranty).  I'm now having the problem again with the replacement unit (now our of warranty since Oct 5 :( ). 

The only thing I can think of that might have happened is that the batteries died during startup and somehow corrupted the memory, but that's only a guess. 

This happens on all Garmin units and is usually caused by some bad HTML in a GPX file.  Connect it to a computer and boot up in mass storage mode.  Delete all GPX files and restart.  It is always safest to put the files on a microSD card as it is easier to recover.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Red90 said:

This happens on all Garmin units and is usually caused by some bad HTML in a GPX file.  Connect it to a computer and boot up in mass storage mode.  Delete all GPX files and restart.  It is always safest to put the files on a microSD card as it is easier to recover.

Unfortunately it won't boot in mass storage mode, just stops at the splash screen. I loaded the exact same file (to the same directory) in my Oregon 650 and it's working fine. 

Edited to add that a Garmin rep once told me to always load geocaches to the main memory and not the the card. I'm now wondering if that was good advice...

Edited by MtnGoat50

Try this:

1) Remove the batteries.

2) Press and hold the power button. Do not release power button.

3) Keep holding the power button and plug the GPS into your computer thru the USB.

4) Continue to hold the power button for AT LEAST 30 seconds (time it). Garmin splash screen should change to Garmin connected to computer screen. Now you are connected in mass storage and can finally release the power button.

5) Massage sore finger (or thumb) from holding in the power button.

If you are using a MAC, make sure you empty the trash.  Also search through all directories for GPX files.

On last thing.  Go into the Garmin/SQL directory and delete everything there.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

There is another method here: 

If that does not work.

1. Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2. The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3. Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4. The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Try this:

Thank you!!!!

I remember trying this last time when I was on the phone with the (very helpful, and knowledgeable) Garmin rep but it didn't work that time. This time success!!! Looks like I'm back in business :D

FWIW, I've owned more than a dozen Garmins going back to the 45 (circa 1992) and the Oregon 750 has been the most troublesome. While this may, "happen on all Garmin units and is usually caused by some bad HTML in a GPX file", I've only seen it on the 750.  I loaded the same GPX using the same computer and program (GSAK) into my Oregon 650 with no issues. 

Again thanks for the help!

On 11/27/2017 at 8:02 PM, Red90 said:

Try this:

1) Remove the batteries.

2) Press and hold the power button. Do not release power button.

3) Keep holding the power button and plug the GPS into your computer thru the USB.

4) Continue to hold the power button for AT LEAST 30 seconds (time it). Garmin splash screen should change to Garmin connected to computer screen. Now you are connected in mass storage and can finally release the power button.

5) Massage sore finger (or thumb) from holding in the power button.

If you are using a MAC, make sure you empty the trash.  Also search through all directories for GPX files.

On last thing.  Go into the Garmin/SQL directory and delete everything there.

Thanks. It solved my problem too. Step 5 is important too :D.