The Cube

igor71

Just in case you were all wondering….the next Game is afoot.

Currently titled ‘PDX Cube’, this event features a competitive arena – with three teams in search of the elusive Golden Spike (aka: 8 inches of golden fun)

Here are the facts:

* The Cube will be visiting the Eastside of Portland.

* Nine caches will be planted.

* A total of twenty-seven possible routes to the spike will exist.

* You will need a map, a GPS and a flashlight.

* Knowledge of local and regional trivia will be important.

Things you can do to prepare:

* Get familiar with Eastside streets and neighborhoods.

* Study films made in the Northwest.

I’m considering a Saturday event date, possibly September 14th – in the late afternoon with a gathering in the evening. I am open to changing the date, so please let me know via email if this time conflicts.

---------------------

Three teams.

Three paths.

One goal.

The Cube is coming…

Not only is my idea now gone to igor, I cannot even see the fruits of his work?

can we please not have it on that weekend? I am a wench for the renaissance faire that and will be 100 miles and 500 years away.

If you want to see me in full wench garb (bodice and all icon_wink.gif )come on down to the Shrewsbury ren faire. I am Riddlin' Maggie, and if you can answer my riddles you will get a prize!

~~

I'm not great enough to be modest.

Not only is my idea now gone to igor, I cannot even see the fruits of his work?

can we please not have it on that weekend? I am a wench for the renaissance faire that and will be 100 miles and 500 years away.

If you want to see me in full wench garb (bodice and all icon_wink.gif )come on down to the Shrewsbury ren faire. I am Riddlin' Maggie, and if you can answer my riddles you will get a prize!

~~

One of the reasons we seemed to stick to Wednesday or Tuesday nights wuz that was when the most G.C.rs could attend. The 14th is bad, since I will be at a bachelor party (not mine). Any other day... I could swing it.

Hell, I may even go to Corvallis to see the ruckus Bellemanda is stirring up. It is there right? -C

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

funny, my (ahem) bodice always gets a bit of attention. Shrewsbury Faire It is a fun time for all, not that I am using this forum as an advertisment.

Tuesdays are nice days, I liked all of the tuesday crowd that attended last time. Wednesdays are cool too.

Igor -- are you sharing any details? like knowledge about northwest film culture vs. films set (or filmed) in the NW? how far out should we be familiar with southeast streets, gresham or barley mill? are there teams competing with each other?

~~

quote:
Originally posted by igor71:

You know that Madonna movie 'body of evidence?' When that mercedes speeds out of that parking garage on 6th, those are MY KNEES in the frame!

but i never did get that part in 'the temp.'

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

quote:

You know that Madonna movie 'body of evidence?' When that mercedes speeds out of that parking garage on 6th, those are MY KNEES in the frame!

Speaking of movies, the object we are searching for reminds me of Goldmember. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

quote:

Speaking of movies, the object we are searching for reminds me of Goldmember. icon_wink.gif

quote:

I'm thinking 6:30pm with a kickoff point near the Hollywood district (NE 39th and Sandy)... Everyone ok with that?

Doug and I are really looking forward to this! Yay eastside! We're pretty familiar w/ the area, but not with NW films...doh!

We are looking forward to more information!

quote:

I'm thinking 6:30pm with a kickoff point near the Hollywood district (NE 39th and Sandy). I'm going for a little earlier start due to the fact that it's getting darker out.

Everyone ok with that?

I just found out that I cannot get out of work until 7:30. Bummer. I will still head down there and look for the Geocacher carnage after work. If there is a post meeting spot, mebby I can catch y'all there. icon_biggrin.gif

If you got your FRS radio's, I will use Channel 5 subchannel 0. But, in typical soup fashion, I will probably get lost. Good luck everyone! -C

quote:

I'm thinking 6:30pm with a kickoff point near the Hollywood district (NE 39th and Sandy). I'm going for a little earlier start due to the fact that it's getting darker out.

Everyone ok with that?

I just found out that I cannot get out of work until 7:30. Bummer. I will still head down there and look for the Geocacher carnage after work. If there is a post meeting spot, mebby I can catch y'all there. icon_biggrin.gif

If you got your FRS radio's, I will use Channel 5 subchannel 0. But, in typical soup fashion, I will probably get lost. Good luck everyone! -C

i have a seminar class every tuesday from eight to ten, so i'll have to pass on this one, and any other tuesday or thursday event from now till december. it's probably better because i'm trying to be a reasonably productive student in my last semester of liberal arts hell. better late than never, i guess.

have fun everyone. i wish i could be there to get the spike, i'm finally wanting to set up a wednesday night event.

If there's gravity, then how you explain birds!?!

In answer to Quantum Mechanics' question...cars will be needed in The Cube.

I'm hoping to get the teams to carpool in three vehicles, but if we get more than 12 players, we'll probably need two-way radios for the extra cars.

Anyone got capacity for more than 4 people?

My estimation (and I've already test driven a couple of the routes) is that The Cube should last from 6:30 til 10:00pm....and that is including the meetup afterwards.

Also, I will be needing cell phone numbers from at least three people. Any volunteers?

A minivan would be great! Anyone else have a rig that can hold at least 4 geocachers?

quote:
Originally posted by bellemanda:

_Igor_ -- are you sharing any details? like knowledge about northwest film culture vs. films set (or filmed) in the NW? how far out should we be familiar with southeast streets, gresham or barley mill? are there teams competing with each other?

icon_cool.gif You will need to know facts about films made in Oregon (locations, actors, etc.), as well as info on Oregon filmmakers.

Example question: In the opening scene of Drugstore Cowboy, Matt Dillon walks into a Portland drugstore. On what street is that drugstore located?

icon_cool.gif The Cube is shaped by these boundries...

North - Prescott

South - Tacoma

East - 135th

West - MLK/Grand

The more caches you have done within these boundries, the better your chances of winning.

icon_cool.gif This is a timed competition between three teams. The rules are simple. At every cache will be three questions. When you know the answer to one (or all) you will call me and tell me your answer(s). If you answer more than one correct, you have the option of selecting which one you want. This is important, as every question has a different set of coordinates attached to it. Choose wisely, and you may move through the Cube quickly. If you get an answer wrong, five minutes will be added to your teams time.

More to come... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bellemanda:

_Igor_ -- are you sharing any details? like knowledge about northwest film culture vs. films set (or filmed) in the NW? how far out should we be familiar with southeast streets, gresham or barley mill? are there teams competing with each other?

icon_cool.gif You will need to know facts about films made in Oregon (locations, actors, etc.), as well as info on Oregon filmmakers.

Example question: In the opening scene of Drugstore Cowboy, Matt Dillon walks into a Portland drugstore. On what street is that drugstore located?

icon_cool.gif The Cube is shaped by these boundries...

North - Prescott

South - Tacoma

East - 135th

West - MLK/Grand

The more caches you have done within these boundries, the better your chances of winning.

icon_cool.gif This is a timed competition between three teams. The rules are simple. At every cache will be three questions. When you know the answer to one (or all) you will call me and tell me your answer(s). If you answer more than one correct, you have the option of selecting which one you want. This is important, as every question has a different set of coordinates attached to it. Choose wisely, and you may move through the Cube quickly. If you get an answer wrong, five minutes will be added to your teams time.

More to come... icon_rolleyes.gif