How to install GPS Plugin?

Savid37

On geocaching.com>Geocaching Maps i click on Send to GPS and then click on "Garmin" it says Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected so I click on Download and install.  I get the message Devices Detected  eTrex Venture HC" and click on "Download for Mac.  I then go to Downloads and double click the Install pkg and complete the installation.  Next I get the message You have Communicator Plugin. Up to Date, Version 4.2.0.0.  I then go back to the geocaching.com>Geocaching Maps and click on a symbol for a cache.  I then go to the page for the cache and click on Send to My GPS and I once again get the message Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected.  How do I get past this vicious circle?  My computer is a MacPro 5,1 running 10.12.6 and Safari.3.5.1.1.

1 hour ago, Savid37 said:

On geocaching.com>Geocaching Maps i click on Send to GPS and then click on "Garmin" it says Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected so I click on Download and install.  I get the message Devices Detected  eTrex Venture HC" and click on "Download for Mac.  I then go to Downloads and double click the Install pkg and complete the installation.  Next I get the message You have Communicator Plugin. Up to Date, Version 4.2.0.0.  I then go back to the geocaching.com>Geocaching Maps and click on a symbol for a cache.  I then go to the page for the cache and click on Send to My GPS and I once again get the message Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected.  How do I get past this vicious circle?  My computer is a MacPro 5,1 running 10.12.6 and Safari.3.5.1.1.

For practical purposes, you can't. There are several threads discussing this problem. Here is one from a few months ago that should help you:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/345358-communicator-plugin-not-detected/#comment-5669122

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Savid37 said:

I then go to the page for the cache and click on Send to My GPS and I once again get the message Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected. 

As you'll read in the link provided by Michaelcycle, if you keep your computer updated with the latest security updates, and the newest browser updates, Garmin Communicator (“Send To My GPS”) won't work. Garmin Communicator uses protocols that are considered security risks. Modern web browsers have begun to stop running such plugins. “Send To My GPS” is available, for now, to those who can still keep it working.

You may find a helper program to load some data through the “API”. Or you can download the LOC version of the file from the cache page (and you may have to convert it).

If you were a paying member, you could use Pocket Queries to send hundreds of caches at once without a plugin. Or use lists, and I think a Mac runs Garmin Express which would allow you to use a new feature called “Send To Garmin”.

Edited by kunarion

I'm not sure your discontinued GPSr will work on the new "send to garmin" feature anyway...

Until/if you become a premium member and can PQ, use a phone, or pick up an updated GPSr, you can simply load caches manually from the site.

I've done this since starting, and it still works for everyone, no matter their membership.   :)