Transferring an Archived Event?

RatoLibre

Is there any way (even with a lackey's help) to transfer a past event to a secondary account? I'd like to keep this account clean with only "cache" caches published on it, but an event I made some months ago is the black spot on that list of otherwise caches only. As the system currently works, I could only transfer an unarchived cache, so... ?

Nope, I wouldn't expect you to be able to transfer (have someone else "adopt") an archived Event.  Adopting archived physical caches is already a no-no.  However, the worst you could do is ask a reviewer or Groundspeak.  It's not physical property, so maybe they would be willing to grant an exception and let the event owner change. But I highly doubt it...

• Upvote 1

The policy is spelled out pretty clearly in the Help Center, so like the others have said, that's a pretty easy one to answer.  You could ask the Reviewer or contact HQ directly, but I'm guessing that the answer would either be a polite no, or a deafening silence to your request.

Sorry, but you should have thought of this before you "blemished" your Profile Stats.

• Upvote 1

Your only option seems to be this:  Create another account and transfer all of your non-event finds to that new account. And also re-log all of your finds to that new account. Of course, it would be weird to have finds before your account creation date.   :ph34r:

But seriously, you'll probably just have to endure seeing that Event cache on your profile. Personally, I don't think it's a "blemish" at all.

5 hours ago, noncentric said:

Of course, it would be weird to have finds before your account creation date.

Not really. I was introduced to geocaching before I created an account on the geocaching.com site, and I logged those finds on the date we found them, even though that was before the date my account was created. And many of the people I've introduced to geocaching didn't have geocaching.com accounts yet either, and logged our finds together once they created geocaching.com accounts.

28 minutes ago, niraD said:
6 hours ago, noncentric said:

Of course, it would be weird to have finds before your account creation date.

Not really. I was introduced to geocaching before I created an account on the geocaching.com site, and I logged those finds on the date we found them, even though that was before the date my account was created. And many of the people I've introduced to geocaching didn't have geocaching.com accounts yet either, and logged our finds together once they created geocaching.com accounts.

You left the smiley off the end of that quoted sentence.

If someone feels that having an Event cache is a 'black spot', then they might also think that having find dates before their account creation date is also problematic.  I suspect that the majority of cachers wouldn't be bothered by it.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. He doesn't want any of his owned caches to show as archived. We were also this way when we started.  (I also think it is cool you feel this way)

We had a similar problem as well.  My daughter and I as a caching team.  I read off the coords to my daughter and she wrote them down.  Somehow 2 numbers got mixed up.  Cache got published but was on someones roof.  The next morning I got a bunch of logs of it being on someones property.  I accidentally hit archive instead of disable from my phone while at work. I then had the cache published at the right coords but we had a archived cache in our list of hides.  It bothered us a lot.  I asked a reviewer if I could use the GC# for a different hide or something but there was no way.

We went for 5 years and probably over 150 hides without archiving any but always had that one bothering us.

Advice for the OP that I have learned now after hiding for like 7 years.

#1 That cache is a event...Those have to be archived and it is not a blemish it is just how those work.  The reason we never had one.

#2 This took us a long time to realize but if you keep hiding caches in your area and never archive any it can kind of kill the game in your area.  For you and for your caching friends.  Spots will keep filling up and everyone active will have already found them.  Then you might start to notice there are no new caches being published.  I am not saying at all you are taking up all the places but it can hurt the area over time.  Not the amount of time you have been doing it but many years later.

The day 5 years later I finally hit archive for one it was kind of a relief. Some caches become harder to maintain over time.  I could still maintain them all but am realizing some of them might not be helping as much as hurting.  I hate to see them on our list that we archived but it is part of the game.  I am making a effort to start archiving some of our less special ones just to make room for more new hides,  even if I could maintain them.

2 hours ago, WarNinjas said:

I know exactly what the OP is talking about. He doesn't want any of his owned caches to show as archived. We were also this way when we started.  (I also think it is cool you feel this way)

Maybe the OP will return to clarify, but he did say in the OP that he wanted "only "cache" caches" to show up on their list of owned caches - not "event" caches.

However, you do bring up a good point that if the OP wants to avoid having 'archived' caches on their list - whether that archived cache is a Trad or Mystery or Letterbox Hybrid - then they should be sure to transfer those caches to a secondary account before archiving them. Although I suspect he's already learned the lesson about transferring an archived cache.

9 hours ago, Joshism said:

OP has logged Attended on several events. Why he okay with Events in his Finds but not in his Hides?

Meaningless question.  The "why" is personal to him and shouldn't bother you in the least.  You might start asking why some have caches in their Finds, but none in their hides (not hiding anything).  Or why someone dislikes/hates micro's.  Or why preforms are OK to find, but not film cans/pill bottles.  Or why ...

• Upvote 1