Benchmarks no longer listed on Cache Types I've Found

qbee37

I've noticed that benchmarks are no longer listed on the Cache Types I've Found section of the Your Statistics page of my profile.

Is this an accident, or was it dropped on purpose?  And, if so, why? I and others have been working on a challenge that requires one to find x number of benchmarks, but if they are no longer going to be listed, the challenge will be broken.

I don't recall that benchmarks were ever listed on the Statistics tab.  (They may have been, but I think I'd remember that.)

BUT, never fear... the grandfathered challenge cache can continue to survive.  Benchmarks remain in the list on the "Geocaches" tab of your public profile, with an asterisk to note that they don't count towards your total cache count.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I don't recall that benchmarks were ever listed on the Statistics tab.  (They may have been, but I think I'd remember that.)

Yep, Keystone remembers correctly.  I just checked a couple screenshots of the Cache Types I've Found section of my Stats page, from 1-3 years ago. Benchmark counts were not there.

For the Challenge, the OP will need to use the Benchmark find count that is still listed on the Public Profile.

Edited by noncentric

Years ago, when the other 2/3rds was into stats,  she questioned (me, of all people...) why benchmark totals are listed at the bottom of our Geocaches Found on our "public" profile, or "show all logs for" in our profile dashboard, but aren't included  in our stats page.

Maybe she had plans on a challenge thing as well, though we haven't completed one...

Most benchmarks we've found aren't even in the system anyway, so she finally left me alone.  :)

59 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Years ago, when the other 2/3rds was into stats,  she questioned (me, of all people...) why benchmark totals are listed at the bottom of our Geocaches Found on our "public" profile, or "show all logs for" in our profile dashboard, but aren't included  in our stats page.

Maybe she had plans on a challenge thing as well, though we haven't completed one...

Most benchmarks we've found aren't even in the system anyway, so she finally left me alone.  :)

Hmm...  I used to be into benchmarking, and have logged over eight hundred into the system.  Recently found one that had not been logged on GS nor  NGS since 1935.  But I don't search for them very much anymore.  

Harry,

The benchmarking community here is but a shadow of its former self. Perhaps it is partially because there is so little support from the website(disappearance of the benchmark link from the home page, etc.). Nevertheless, you had some of the more thorough benchmark logs on the site, and your input is missed. If you ever decide to take up the hunt again, the community will be better off.

shorbird

I'm coming off a long pause in geocaching.  I just noticed myself that I can't see benchmarks in my own stats.  I was confused because I could have sworn they were there.

These days I tend to use the NGS Explorer site to find them and don't bother with updating Geocache website.  ALthough recently I claimed two which is what brought me here.

On 11/23/2017 at 12:54 PM, Keystone said:

BUT, never fear... the grandfathered challenge cache can continue to survive.  Benchmarks remain in the list on the "Geocaches" tab of your public profile, with an asterisk to note that they don't count towards your total cache count.

Last year's advice continues to apply to the thread bump.

I see from The Vault Dweller's profile, on the "Geocaches" tab, that they've found 56 benchmarks.

• Upvote 1
On 10/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, Suoloco said:

It might renew interest in the benchmarking community if benchmarks did count toward the cache found total and if you could map them when you searched for geocaches.

I disagree.   Cache history would be off.

Counting "smiley points" now wouldn't really be fair to the many people who kept this hobby alive, using benchmarks for something to do until geocaches were more plentiful.

IIRC, it's because benchmarks helped the site's members find something while caches were few and far between that they're even still here.   

Edited by cerberus1
where
  • Upvote 1
On 10/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, cerberus1 said:

I disagree.   Cache history would be off.

Counting "smiley points" now wouldn't really be fair to the many people who kept this hobby alive, using benchmarks for something to do until geocaches were more plentiful.

IIRC, it's because benchmarks helped the site's members find something while caches were few and far between that they're even still here.   

Since benchmarks are only available to a minority of geocachers to begin with it would be nice if they could be removed from the geocaching website entirely, just like waymarks have been. 

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1