Eastside Seattle--a little help?

oregone

Not that i would ever consider going to bellevue and kirkland this weekend just to go geocaching, but--hypothetically now--if i did, I have a few questions for the locals:

1)Where is the best place to have a seafood dinner? Specifically, i'm thinking crabcakes.

2)Where is a good motel in the bellevue/kirkland area? It should be within walking distance of a bar and within driving distance of seth!'s caches. it should also be about 60 bucks a night.

But like i said, i would never leave portland at 7am tomorrow just to do the list of caches i've spent most of this morning printing out. That would be even sillier than driving up to olympia/tacoma for the same thing, and i don't know anyone that's ever done that.

Thanks for your help.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

1)Where is the best place to have a seafood dinner? Specifically, i'm thinking crabcakes.

Well, I can't say anything about their crabcakes (or if they even have them), but the Yarrow Bay Grill in Kirkland is an outstanding restaurant. It's a bit pricey, but good food.

In Bellevue, Spazzo Mediterranean Grill is a favorite. I can vouch for their crabcakes!

quote:

2)Where is a good motel in the bellevue/kirkland area? It should be within walking distance of a bar and within driving distance of seth!'s caches. it should also be about 60 bucks a night.

Can't help you here, unfortunately; I've never stayed at a local motel. You'll likely want to focus on the downtown Bellevue area, though. That's the closest the Eastside has to a nightlife (which isn't saying much at all).

By the way, you'll do yourself a disservice if you don't hit Seth!'s "Mission Impossible" cache. You won't be able to do it all on one trip, but that would just give you an excuse to come back!

24_700.gif

On behalf of oregone and myself, thank you, mount10bike for recommending Yarrow Grill. the crabcakes were the best i've had outside of the nehalem dock restaurant in oregon.

we ended up staying at the bestwestern in bellevue, which is where we are tonight. hmm.... where are all the people? ain't a single bar in this town. at least there's a fred meyer where a kind girl named susan sold us a couple six packs and claimed i'm not 21 yet. do they teach arithmatic around here?

anyway, thank you again.

we beat our record and found 18 caches today.

let us know if you come down to portland and we'll hang out at the barley mill with you.

-laurencat and oregone

with these forums! Sorry for not chiming in earlier. Glad that Moun10Bike was able to help. I hope that I'll be seeing some more of your Kirkland log entries (diggin' the Sawmill one!) and such. If you get a chance, maybe you can rattle off the ones you found so we don't have to scroll through 207 headings. Not that we wouldn't do that for you.

If Moun10Bike and I get down there for a crime, er, geocache spree, we'll take you up on the Barley Mill plan. (Is that a virtual cache now?)

Thanks for making the trip up here. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

I yet to receive the notices that you guys found my geocaches (from geocaching.com, I mean) so I just went through my logs. Groovy! Thanks for finding so many of mine and I am glad that you enjoyed them. Maybe I'll even splurge and send you an actual e-mail.

!

Laurencat and I had an excellent time. Because of all the recent heavy snowfall to the east and west (and even south) of us, we figured spending a weekend in washinton was apt. When you look at the state map of washington on geocaching.com for the first time, it's really hard to overlook the density of caches just east of seattle. Also, i had heard through the forums and elsewhere that Seth! places some unique caches (as well as some other folks), so it seemed pretty obvious where we had to go. But we never imagined that we'd find 28 in 2 days--i'm never doing that again, purposely or not.

it was also nice to find some logs without the name "explosis" on them from two days ago. Although by the time we slipped down to federal way, we saw that he had been there just minutes before us. sneaky little...

i'm kinda surprised that we don't have a knock-off of "multi-cache-mania" down here in portland yet. maybe i should write some emails.

the best thing about washington (besides the caches, of course) is showing cashiers and waitresses my Oregon ID and saying "no sales tax, please." i get a big kick out of saving anywhere from 8 cents to 12 dollars just for being a non-resident. i don't know why.

thanks for putting up with us, and if any of you visit portland soon, just post and i'll give you whatever information you need, except spoilers!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed