GoogleMaps no longer supports coordinates?

Zachaban

Am I the only one who has trouble with this all out of a sudden?

Solved a mystery, plugged the coordinates into the GoogleMaps search bar and all I get is hits of places that are called 'N' and the Terminal 'E' of my local airport. -.- I tried several different options of writing the coordinates.

When looking for alternative sites around the web, all I found was apps, no normal websites (except Bing Maps - and that doesn't work either, nor did I expect it to). Not owning a smartphone, apps don't help me much.

What sites/programs do you use in this kind of situations?

21 hours ago, hzoi said:

Google Maps doesn't like having the letters come second, or other extraneous characters.  But just plugging "N 0 E 0" into the search box brings me to Null Island, as it should.

I am a bit surprised that works as it's not a valid coordinate format.  It could be interpreted as N 0.0 E 0.0,  which would be Decimal Degrees format, but I would expect that a decimal value requiring a decimal point.  As decimal degrees format can be expressed without the hemisphere labels (N/S/E/W) just entering two *valid* decimal values (-180 - 180) with a space character in between will work as a coordinate search as well.  There's a little trick that I use with Google maps quite often.  Look at any place on the map and right click.  select that "What's Here" menu option and a pop-up window with show a "feature" and the coordinates in decimal degrees format.  

5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There's a little trick that I use with Google maps quite often.  Look at any place on the map and right click.  select that "What's Here" menu option and a pop-up window with show a "feature" and the coordinates in decimal degrees format.  

That pop-up window can be activated by putting the mouse at any place on the map and left clicking. It works on a PC that way. Not sure if it works that way on a Mac.

The right-click -> What's here also works on a PC, but requires one extra click.  :ph34r:

18 hours ago, noncentric said:

That pop-up window can be activated by putting the mouse at any place on the map and left clicking. It works on a PC that way. Not sure if it works that way on a Mac.

The right-click -> What's here also works on a PC, but requires one extra click.  :ph34r:

I hadn't noticed that it works with a left click.  I found that a left click on the map will bring up the pop up window.  A subsequent left click on the map will close the window, then a left click somewhere else on the map will bring up a window with the new location.  The right click always brings up the menu with the "What's Here?" link.  I'd try it on a Mac but I've got it packed up ready for a trip to NYC (for the Cornell vs. Boston University Red Hot Hockey game at Madison Square Garden tomorrow night) later this morning.