No "Needs Maintenance" option

ahomburg

This help centre article has a bit more information also that may help. 

You need to post your normal log (found, write note) and then follow the report a problem link below. 

This change was introduced to reduce the number of logs people had to write to flag a problem with a cache, this allows people to log their found log and report a wet log or similar issue in the one process. 

...or you could opt out of the new form and use the old form which still gives you the choice of entering a needs maintenance log directly.

1 hour ago, travellinbees said:

I wrote a note, however did not see that option. I will go back and have a look around.

If you want to file an NM unrelated to a find or a DNF, with the new form, checking that box when you file your Note will file the Note marked as a Note while also filing a vacuous Needs Maintenance log suggesting that there's a log somewhere that explains the problem. Since you're not filing a find or DNF, it would have been easier all around to use the old form to file just the NM. But that's for next time: you filed the Note, that will probably be good enough, and you can't change a Note into an NM for some reason.

11 hours ago, Ministro said:

This change was introduced to reduce the number of logs people had to write to flag a problem with a cache, this allows people to log their found log and report a wet log or similar issue in the one process. 

It's fine to streamline the user workflow in some cases. But that's no excuse for also preventing a stand-alone NM (or NA) log, where it would definitely make sense. I said so months ago (see this posting) but unfortunately, GS chose to ignore this :(.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

It's fine to streamline the user workflow in some cases. But that's no excuse for also preventing a stand-alone NM (or NA) log, where it would definitely make sense. I said so months ago (see this posting) but unfortunately, GS chose to ignore this :(.

I agree with what you're saying except that I do not agree this amounts to streamlining the user workflow. Even for logging an NM, it's more complicated and confusing than just having an NM lo option, but when you consider the additional complication of the checkbox that the user has to consider every single time he goes to post a found or DNF on a cache that doesn't require maintenance, it's clearly a net increase to the workflow.

On 11/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, dprovan said:

...or you could opt out of the new form and use the old form which still gives you the choice of entering a needs maintenance log directly.

Yep, this is the method that I prefer, mainly because I want my own text to be in the NM log, rather than one of the canned log messages. See images below. The "opt out" option works when clicking on "Log geocache" from a cache page. The "opt out" option isn't available when composing logs from the Drafts/Field Notes page.

gc-loggingNM.png

Edited by noncentric

Oh, and regarding the app.

The NM/NA log options are available and allow you to add your own text to describe the cache's issue. I'll sometimes open a cache in the app so that I can submit an NM log directly. To do this, select a specific cache in the app, click on the "..." icon at the top right, select "Report a problem", and then "Needs Maintenance".