Geocache maps on S7 Samsung?

Tootchwood

When you use the map on the geocaching.com/map website?  I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and get the pop-up box when I click on a cache icon from the map. I can then click on the cache name within the pop-up box to open the cache in a new browser page.  Clicking on the pop-up box itself doesn't do anything, you have to click on one of the linked values inside the pop-up box.

What Android version are you running?

4 hours ago, noncentric said:

When you use the map on the geocaching.com/map website?  I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and get the pop-up box when I click on a cache icon from the map. I can then click on the cache name within the pop-up box to open the cache in a new browser page.  Clicking on the pop-up box itself doesn't do anything, you have to click on one of the linked values inside the pop-up box.

What Android version are you running?

Hi, what you describe is how it worked on my old iphone, and on my iPad. But not on my S7. The app works fine it is just the geocaching.com/map web page that I have a problem with. The phone is updated to the latest software. Apologies for the late reply but I am on GMT and it is 8.45am now.

Okay. I noticed with the Samsung app that if I press on the cache name link, then I get the option to open the link in Firefox (my default browsing app) or a caching app. If I click on other links in the pop-up window, like cache owner or log visit, then a new Samsung Internet browser tab opens as expected.

Solution for the cache name link is to long press on the cache name in the pop-up window. If I do that, then I get the option to 'open in new tab', 'open in background', etc. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe related to some setting in the phone.

I just noticed that the Google Chrome app behaves the same way as the Samsung Internet app, with the same long press workaround.

Another option is to install the Firefox for Android app, and use that app to access the geocaching.com website. That  browser app seems to behave as expected and no long press workaround is needed.

Edited by noncentric
31 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Okay. I noticed with the Samsung app that if I press on the cache name link, then I get the option to open the link in Firefox (my default browsing app) or a caching app. If I click on other links in the pop-up window, like cache owner or log visit, then a new Samsung Internet browser tab opens as expected.

Solution for the cache name link is to long press on the cache name in the pop-up window. If I do that, then I get the option to 'open in new tab', 'open in background', etc. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe related to some setting in the phone.

I just noticed that the Google Chrome app behaves the same way as the Samsung Internet app, with the same long press workaround.

Another option is to install the Firefox for Android app, and use that app to access the geocaching.com website. That  browser app seems to behave as expected and no long press workaround is needed.

I tried the long press to no avail, I then downloaded the Firefox app and opened geocaching from there and though a little slow now works normally. Many thanks for the help.

Great. Glad that you were able to get it working with the Firefox app.

It's odd that the Samsung Internet app doesn't give you the option to choose an app to open the link.  If you could get that and select "Always", then it should save that choice and open with that every time.  Quite the mystery why your phone isn't giving you that option, but at least you have a workaround now, even though it's not by using the browser you prefer.