Zooming changed on geocaching maps??

Ma & Pa

Heading out tomorrow morning to do more of a cache series.  I wanted to review how to attack the series by reviewing the map. I went to one of the cache pages and clicked VIEW LARGER MAP.  The map appeared.  When I tried to use the mouse wheel to zoom in, I got a message on the map that said:

"Use ctr + scroll to zoom the map"   I was able to use  the Ctr and + and - to zoom in and out, but it certainly was not as convenient as the mouse wheel.

I dont get this message when I zoom non geocaching maps. 

Has there been a change to the maps?

Edited by Ma & Pa

What browser are you using?  My mouse wheel still works for scrolling the geocaching map in Firefox v57.0

ETA:  Just saw this other thread that mentions the issue is isolated to Google maps.  I usually use Leaflet, which is why I didn't see the issue. I just tested using Google maps, and I do see that cntl+scroll message.  My mouse wheel works for scrolling on the Google Maps website, so not pleased that the geocaching.com version of Google maps requires both keyboard+mouse use.

Edited by noncentric
other thread

This is a change in the Google Maps API and effects every site that uses Google Maps. The default for gestureHandling is now "cooperative" (requires two fingers on a touch screen, or CTRL + scroll on a PC rather than "greedy" which is the old way. If Groundspeak wants maps to act like they used to, all they need to do is fix (or add) one line of code.

Further to what The Snowdog said, see here for how gestures are handled. Setting gestureHandling to 'greedy' should fix the desktop problem, but on my first read through it sounds like it disables zooming the map on mobile devices.

And there might be a browser component in the mix as well. Using Chromium on Raspbian, I'm not seeing the 'Use CTRL +...' message on the map page. The mouse wheel zooms the map in and out as it always has. I checked it with both Google street maps and the satellite view.

Wow nice quick fix. I would bet it was a Microsoft issue. Google maps had no problem. Only the geocaching Google map. My smartphone also had issue with that map. It was making me move the map with two fingers rather than one. Shortly after noon my time it went back to correct behavior. As you may have seen in a post I did, Windows 10 updated and then some programs went buggy.  It may have caused this as well.

Thanks for the fix.

12 hours ago, Mn-treker said:

I would bet it was a Microsoft issue.

I would bet it was not, but it's mildly amusing watching you repeatedly pick your bone with Microsoft on a forum they don't monitor.  Maybe if you post your issues to a Microsoft forum, they'll get resolved.  Until then, here's the answer from Groundspeak.

21 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Thank you for notifying Geocaching HQ about the changes made to Google maps scroll options. We were unaware that these changes were happening. We've notified the engineering teams.

Wow nice quick fix. I would bet it was a Microsoft issue. Google maps had no problem. Only the geocaching Google map. My smartphone also had issue with that map. It was making me move the map with two fingers rather than one. Shortly after noon my time it went back to correct behavior. As you may have seen in a post I did, Windows 10 updated and then some programs went buggy.  It may have caused this as well.

Thanks for the fix.

You may think it is picking but it does affect us all. My topo software, used for geocaching. I do not use gsak. But have heard of Microsoft up dates screwing that up. As well as other softwares that we all use to do this hoby. Point being if suddenly your stuff act up and Microsoft uodated a possibility exists that it was a part of the problem.

Gripe to Microsoft no use. You need to find solution to the issue. Software repair replace or update to work with the changes. When Microsoft updates it is to much more than Windows .

The whole network may be affected.

One place I work is with a government institution Microsoft updates trashed our Network and had to be repaired.

The problem was not with the individual computers either.