Help needed to complete a Mystery cache!

Tanzie1981

Hi guys.

I'm new on here and would like some help or tips on how to solve a D4 T1.5 Mystery cache in [location removed]. I've already had a lot of help from the CO, but I can't make the numbers fit. It is [name and GC Code removed]. I already have [partial coordinates removed] but can't work out the others. Please help!

Tanzie 1981.

Edited by Keystone
puzzle information removed by moderator

Maybe you have not read the forum guidelines but giving solutions to mysteries a not allowed here. If you need help, the first place to ask is the CO, explain what you've tried so far and where you got stuck. That way you can get a hint to put you on the right track.

Edited by Keystone
removed quote of prohibited content

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

If you ask the cache owner for a hint, then be sure to mention the approaches you have tried so far, and the results those approaches have yielded. It can also be helpful to work together with others who are trying to solve the same puzzle. Geocaching events are a good place to meet other geocachers; ask around to see if anyone else is trying to solve the same puzzle(s) as you.

Other useful resources include:

On 20/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, Tanzie1981 said:

Hi guys.

I'm new on here and would like some help or tips on how to solve a D4 T1.5 Mystery cache in [location removed]. I've already had a lot of help from the CO, but I can't make the numbers fit. It is [name and GC Code removed]. I already have [partial coordinates removed] but can't work out the others. Please help!

Tanzie 1981.

You say you've already had a lot of help from the C.O. , (who knows it's not easy, having given the puzzle a D4 rating) Maybe it's time to put the puzzle aside for a while and come back to it with a fresh mind free of preconceptions.

That often works for me.

The puzzle cache owner's help has apparently got you part way, personally I'd respect their decision about how much help to hand out on what is, after all, their deliberately difficult puzzle . You'll get far more satisfaction from eventually solving it yourself after a struggle than you ever will by swerving the puzzle solving difficulty and getting the answer handed to you.

• Upvote 2