Oregon 650-caches disappeared after receiving cache

Capers4

I've had my 650 for several years so I'm used to the random freezing issues and the occasional but always inconvenient "stuck on the loading screen" problem. This weekend I had a brand new glitch. A friend was sending a cache from her 650 to mine and it failed, but then ALL of the other caches I had loaded disappeared too. I tried several restarts and they never came back. When I was back home I was able to load my field notes from the earlier caches with no problem and the GPX and GGZ files were still showing as being in the GPS. I didn't have an sd card in at the time and the GPS had been working fine right up until the transfer.
Has anyone else had this happen and if so have you come up with a solution that can bring them back while in the field? 

Place the GPX files into a folder named "Garmin/GPX" on your SD card.  The same directory structure as the internal GPX folder.  And either put the same files into the internal memory and keep the SD card out until needed, or just load all files onto the SD card and remove it temporarily when the database fails.

If the database gets corrupted in the field, take the SD card out, turn the GPSr off then on, confirm all caches are gone.  Then turn it off, install the SD card, turn it on.  Now all caches are back.  Return to a computer, backup and then delete everything in the Garmin/GPX folder from internal memory.  Place new files.

That's the basic plan, and it seems to work most of the time, based on Forum posts.  Good luck!

[EDIT: You'd also make and load a Garmin/GGZ folder if you're using GGZ files.]

Edited by kunarion