Wherigo compatible devices?

RummelClan

I currently have a handheld Garmin GPSmap 62st and  an iPhone 7.  I am leaving on a trip next week and want to check out a few Wherigo caches. The one cache in particular is an ‘anywhere  Wherigo’ that I was hoping to do at home beforehand. I downloaded the app for the iPhone and am unable to download the cartridge since neither of my devices are listed as compatible devices.  Do I have any options with what I have at the moment? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What I do on my phone is open the Wherigo link from the cache page using safari.  Most cache pages do not have a link in the description and instead have the link to the Wherigo site set up as a Related Web Page which you cannot get to from the app.  Using the link in the cache page if provided or from the Related Web Page, you will be sent to the Wherigo site to the page for that cartridge.  Select Download then choose Pocket PC Device from the drop down then select Download Now.  The cartridge will load to the Wherigo app that you must have already installed on your phone.  Some magic will happen and you should get a message to open in the Wherigo app.  Click open  and a new window will pop for  the Wherigo app.  Choose the Wherigo you want to play from the list and off you go.  Once you've completed the cartridge you can update the coords on the cache page like any other mystery cache using the pencil icon next to the posted coords.  Be sure to save your game unless you want to play it again. :)

Hope that makes sense

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

What I do on my phone is open the Wherigo link from the cache page using safari.  Most cache pages do not have a link in the description and instead have the link to the Wherigo site set up as a Related Web Page which you cannot get to from the app.  Using the link in the cache page if provided or from the Related Web Page, you will be sent to the Wherigo site to the page for that cartridge.  Select Download then choose Pocket PC Device from the drop down then select Download Now.  The cartridge will load to the Wherigo app that you must have already installed on your phone.  Some magic will happen and you should get a message to open in the Wherigo app.  Click open  and a new window will pop for  the Wherigo app.  Choose the Wherigo you want to play from the list and off you go.  Once you've completed the cartridge you can update the coords on the cache page like any other mystery cache using the pencil icon next to the posted coords.  Be sure to save your game unless you want to play it again. :)

Hope that makes sense

I've been meaning to set this up on my iPhone (my Oregon 650 had trouble with the cartridge I'm playing, so I'm trying other ideas).  So I'm not putting it off any longer and just now installed the "Wherigo" App from the Apple Store on my iPhone 5.

Some extra info that may help:

Your instructions are fine.  But after I downloaded the cartridge, I was presented with the "GWZ" file screen, showing that I downloaded the cartridge.  And it sat there like that.  So I tapped the share icon (square with an arrow) and shared it with the Wherigo App. It loaded fine that way.  The OP may have to do the same.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Your instructions are fine.  But after I downloaded the cartridge, I was presented with the "GWZ" file screen, showing that I downloaded the cartridge.  And it sat there like that.  So I tapped the share icon (square with an arrow) and shared it with the Wherigo App. It loaded fine that way.  The OP may have to do the same.

I get that as well but I also get the option to open it in the app which then presents the list of cartridges I've already downloaded

2017-11-17_13-37-58.jpg.35bf6928ac41cc42a6b4c9f7bf3584f5.jpg        Wherigo Cartridge List

Edited by Twinklekitkat
  • Upvote 1

Knowing nada about how this stuff works, but the header did say "compatible devices"...  We've only found two, but both were on the other 2/3rd's iphone 5. 

The guy who "fixes" this stuff (kinda on his own) is probably a bit more advance than that, and the 2/3rd's  newer 7 (what the OP's using) should work fine now too. 

Over 50 wherigos,  I'd think Twinklekitkat's got a plan that works.  :)

• Upvote 1