Maps on Maps Tab

13 hours ago, fi67 said:

The maps use Flash, a technology that is more and more discouraged by browser manufacturers.

Thanks to you and vulture1957 for the responses.  I did have a little click-fest like vulture1957 suggested, to no avail, and I think you've got the right answer on the Flash thing, now that it's supposed to go away by 2020.  I did fire up an older version of Opera on my backup laptop, and surprise, surprise, there's the map, with Ohio joining the list of states where I've officially waymarked now. :)

Maps seem to be problematic.  I thought when I upgraded from XP to (lousy) Windows 10 on a new computer and using a new IE that it would show the map at the upper right of each Waymark.  It works about 40% of the time, instead of 10% of the time.  Wow!  Can't blame the versions of the OS or browser this time.  The map interface (for whoever's fault) still does not work most of the time.

It's only slightly annoying when I'm making Waymarks, because I'd like to make sure I didn't goof typing in the coordinates.  But it's much more annoying when reviewing other folks' waymarks, because I want to do the same for them: make sure they got the right coordinates.  (We all make mistakes.)  But I end up having to bring up Google Earth and copy/paste the coordinates many times because the map area just remains blank.  Even through a Refresh of the page.

Oh well.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Maps seem to be problematic.  I thought when I upgraded from XP to (lousy) Windows 10 on a new computer and using a new IE that it would show the map at the upper right of each Waymark.  It works about 40% of the time, instead of 10% of the time.  Wow!  Can't blame the versions of the OS or browser this time.  The map interface (for whoever's fault) still does not work most of the time.

It's only slightly annoying when I'm making Waymarks, because I'd like to make sure I didn't goof typing in the coordinates.  But it's much more annoying when reviewing other folks' waymarks, because I want to do the same for them: make sure they got the right coordinates.  (We all make mistakes.)  But I end up having to bring up Google Earth and copy/paste the coordinates many times because the map area just remains blank.  Even through a Refresh of the page.

Oh well.

These maps are different than the ones on the profile. I also had a lot of problems with them a while ago. But now, for about a year or so, they are working fine for me. I did not change anything at my hardware or software, and I bet Groudspeak did not change anything on the servers (would cost money), so I guess these problems were caused by network latency issues.

11 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

I thought when I upgraded from XP to (lousy) Windows 10 on a new computer and using a new IE that it would show the map at the upper right of each Waymark.  It works about 40% of the time, instead of 10% of the time.  Wow!  Can't blame the versions of the OS or browser this time.

Oh well.

Mebbe we can blame at least some of your problem on IE. I'm using a laptop with Windoze 10 (wish I had never upgraded from 7) and Chrome. (Since IE is a Microsloth product I avoid it like the plague. I only use Windoze to retain compatibility.) The maps problem on Waymark pages seems to have (almost) completely gone away here. If you have an aversion to Chrome or Google there's another browser which uses the same open source engine as does Chrome, but omits some of the Chrome/Google specific internals. Can't think of the name of it, but it's available, free,  at portableapps.com.

Got it now, it's called Iron.

Keith