New Category Idea

I have an idea for a category, I look for it and I didn't find so think it does not exist. I love tv shows about cooking (Masterchef and others similar) and I always wanted to eat at a Michelin star Restaurant but I'm not rich (i'm not poor too) so I can not eat there all the time as a solution I decided to go there with my wife for a special occasion and I have loved the experience (I hope to repeat it in the future). So I would like to waymark this special locations that deserve a Michelin Star.

The idea is to mark for the future that the Restaurant has or already had a michelin star.

I can give you an example, the  Eleven it has one Star as you can see on his page, so the waymark name would be " Eleven (2017 - 1 Star) - Lisbon - Portugal"

And then the waymark the visitors can tell if they eat there and if it continues to have Michelin Stars at the time of their visit.

You can search the restaurants in the map and click on time in the pin to see if it has Stars: Map

Is this possible?

22 hours ago, Tante.Hossi said:

Maybe a valid idea.

But how can I see or filter in the map if a restaurant has received a Star or not?

I find a lot of restaurants around - but I'm sure they do not all have a star or more.

You can Search by city and them Refine by the stars (see picture)

img.png

54 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I was totally unaware that the tire company has anything to do with restaurants. Sorry, but I don't find it of any interest. Maybe in France, but not here in the US.

We have  Hardee's Star restaurants. 

It's not their restaurants. It is about independent restaurants awarded in their annual restaurant guide books, one of the most prestigious restaurant awards in the world. And there are plenty of Michelin star restaurants in the US as well.

But I do not really see the point in duplicating a list that is already completely available online. I know, there are some other categories that do the same, but still.

7 minutes ago, fi67 said:

It's not their restaurants. It is about independent restaurants awarded in their annual restaurant guide books, one of the most prestigious restaurant awards in the world. And there are plenty of Michelin star restaurants in the US as well.

But I do not really see the point in duplicating a list that is already completely available online. I know, there are some other categories that do the same, but still.

I did not, and still don't exactly understand. Or maybe I'm confused. I associate the name Michelin with the tire company. If I were dining at a 5 star restaurant, and the fat little tire guy has awarded those stars, maybe I can get an oil change and tire rotation at the same restaurant?

43 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I did not, and still don't exactly understand. Or maybe I'm confused. I associate the name Michelin with the tire company. If I were dining at a 5 star restaurant, and the fat little tire guy has awarded those stars, maybe I can get an oil change and tire rotation at the same restaurant?

to  promote tourism (and vehicle usage, thence tire wear) Michelin has the site that shows attractions and restaurants to visit. Restaurants are awarded "stars" to show how good the food is (as in, "cuisine", not bbq or fast food joints). You'd be looking for chef prepared food (Gordon Ramsey or Bobby Flay).

How are you going to handle a waymarker that claims an establishment had won a award in the past and that establishment is not presently on the list?  For instance I say my local hot dog stand got 2 stars back in 1989.  How can you verify that as a reviewer?  Commercial venues change so often too and Waymarking has no mechanism to remove obsolete waymarks...   Not looking good to me unless these can be overcome.

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

to  promote tourism (and vehicle usage, thence tire wear) Michelin has the site that shows attractions and restaurants to visit. Restaurants are awarded "stars" to show how good the food is (as in, "cuisine", not bbq or fast food joints). You'd be looking for chef prepared food (Gordon Ramsey or Bobby Flay).

Sorry, but Michelin only brings to mind the tire company to me, and they are over priced for the quality. I'm sure it's different in France. I don't think it's a good Waymarking idea.

18 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Sorry, but Michelin only brings to mind the tire company to me, and they are over priced for the quality. I'm sure it's different in France. I don't think it's a good Waymarking idea.

so you'd be more happy if it said "Heinz" instead? Don't worry so much about the name of the company. Look at the idea of the proposed category.

An idea should have a global reach to fit the criteria & the Michelin system of rating restaurants doesn't exist in Australia. We have Chef Hats. The tyres are sold here though & I had a set fitted to my first car, a 1971 VW superbug. The tyres complemented the car, which had great road holding ability. 

• A Michelin star has for a Chef more or less the same meaning that a Nobel prize has for a writer.
  • Michelin stars are a rating system used by the Michelin Guide to grade restaurants on their quality. The guide was originally developed in 1900 to show French drivers where local amenities such as restaurants and mechanics were, the rating system was first introduced in 1926 as a single star, with the second and third stars introduced in 1933. According to the Guide, one star signifies "a very good restaurant", two stars are "excellent cooking that is worth a detour", and three stars mean "exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey". The listing of starred restaurants is updated once a year.
  • 17,000 is the number of restaurants that are listed on the Guide, but only a small percentage of that has the honor of having a Star(s).
  • This is one of the goals category to to record to the history of the restaurants that already had the honor to have Stars (since this historical information is hard to find).
  • To be accepted at the time of the creation of the waymark the restaurant must have a Star(s). 
  • I think that Waymarking is an excellent way to record the history of this locations, the waymark creators and then the visitors keep track of the site and its changes over time.
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tuena said:

An idea should have a global reach to fit the criteria & the Michelin system of rating restaurants doesn't exist in Australia. We have Chef Hats. 

Thanks for making me look again at the global reach.  I would now vote no for the category.  There are too many nations missing.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, OLapis said:
  • A Michelin star has for a Chef more or less the same meaning that a Nobel prize has for a writer.
  • Michelin stars are a rating system used by the Michelin Guide to grade restaurants on their quality. The guide was originally developed in 1900 to show French drivers where local amenities such as restaurants and mechanics were, the rating system was first introduced in 1926 as a single star, with the second and third stars introduced in 1933. According to the Guide, one star signifies "a very good restaurant", two stars are "excellent cooking that is worth a detour", and three stars mean "exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey". The listing of starred restaurants is updated once a year.
  • 17,000 is the number of restaurants that are listed on the Guide, but only a small percentage of that has the honor of having a Star(s).
  • This is one of the goals category to to record to the history of the restaurants that already had the honor to have Stars (since this historical information is hard to find).
  • To be accepted at the time of the creation of the waymark the restaurant must have a Star(s). 
  • I think that Waymarking is an excellent way to record the history of this locations, the waymark creators and then the visitors keep track of the site and its changes over time.

You should refer to the criteria which Waymarks are subject to. If you insist on a Star then, as far as I can gather, there will be no eligible waymarks in the Southern Hemisphere. I accidentally clicked on an arrow on the right hand side of your post. Not sure what that's about but if it means I like your post, then the opposite is the case.  I dont think you read mine. 

The global criterion does not mean it must exist in Australia. Of course, the more countries covered, the better, but this criterion was never meant to be the basis of a Nay vote, just because a category is not available in the immediate personal environment. Something that has become quite popular in the recent past. This trend is going to close the door for many special cultural and historic categories that are not part of the globalized world and would be a great benefit for Waymarking as a whole, if accepted.

Now for this category idea: With four continents and several dozen countries it is global enough for me. The Guide Michelin is one of the two best known and accepted restaurant rating system in the world, next to Gault Millau. But restaurant categories generally have not been very successful. In the beginning, there will be one submission by each icon hunter, and the rest will be filled by the number crunchers with quick and cheap sub-standard submissions, while the majority of the waymarkers just does not care at all. Above all, with a yearly changing list, they are not enduring enough.

I don't think this is a good idea.

• Upvote 3