Lost Geocache

jlewisrn

I have lost 2 Canisters that are located off the main trail and would require a muggle to go looking to find it, not in a "stumble across" spot.  I think that maybe critters in the area may be carrying off to a tree/burrow in the area.  Is there a good Beacon that I can use to test this theory if I decide to replace it a 3rd time and locate it if its lost again?

Thanks!

You could pick up a Garmin chirp beacon, they run $20 or so.  They even sell them through the geocaching store.  I'd want to know the range, though.

Or just use a tether, like a long piece of wire that can't be chewed through easily.  If it vanishes anyway, it's probably two-legged muggles that are strolling off with them.

What are you using for containers?  Hopefully not something that used to contain food.

edit to add: apparently chirp range is up to 10 meters, but they do require a Garmin GPSr with ANT capability.  If you don't already have the latter, I wouldn't bother with the former.

Edited by hzoi
37 minutes ago, jlewisrn said:

I have lost 2 Canisters that are located off the main trail and would require a muggle to go looking to find it, not in a "stumble across" spot.  I think that maybe critters in the area may be carrying off to a tree/burrow in the area.  Is there a good Beacon that I can use to test this theory if I decide to replace it a 3rd time and locate it if its lost again?

Thanks!

I have several tethered containers to keep critters from dragging them off. :D

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

You could pick up a Garmin chirp beacon, they run $20 or so.  They even sell them through the geocaching store.  I'd want to know the range, though.

Or just use a tether, like a long piece of wire that can't be chewed through easily.  If it vanishes anyway, it's probably two-legged muggles that are strolling off with them.

What are you using for containers?  Hopefully not something that used to contain food.

edit to add: apparently chirp range is up to 10 meters, but they do require a Garmin GPSr with ANT capability.  If you don't already have the latter, I wouldn't bother with the former.

Garmin Chirp provides no distance information.  "The Tile" and "TrackR" are two kinds of tags that work with Bluetooth and specialized Apps to show a relative radio strength (roughly providing distance), up to the range of the signal, about 300 feet.  Plus, at least with "The Tile", other people's phones running the App can relay info to you when the Tile is found beyond the range of just your phone.  I've never tried to find a cache with those, but I was able to find and track someone's pet cat that liked to escape the house.

Edited by kunarion

Similar to a couple, I'd try some sort of tether.  Not sure how you'd attach it.

if the medium plastic jug has had food in it, that may be the issue with it disappearing. 

Similar to dprovan, I'd think that maybe your Difficulty may be off a bit and muggles are cartin' them away.  I bump into people "just walkin' along..."  in the middle of swamps in bear season, so a 1.5 Terrain's nada.  :)

42 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Similar to a couple, I'd try some sort of tether.  Not sure how you'd attach it.

if the medium plastic jug has had food in it, that may be the issue with it disappearing. 

Similar to dprovan, I'd think that maybe your Difficulty may be off a bit and muggles are cartin' them away.  I bump into people "just walkin' along..."  in the middle of swamps in bear season, so a 1.5 Terrain's nada.  :)

There was a cache in a local park that was chronically out in the open, away from its nook beside a tree.  Animals were pushing the container away from the tree, so now it was in view.  And that's how it got muggled.  Yeah, by non-cachers who happen to wander around in lonely spots behind trees.

I wouldn't buy a Beacon.  I would think to many different things could happen and not give you the results you are looking for.

My daughter and I once went to look for a cache.  We found small swagg down below the tree but no cache.  I looked above it on the tree and a crazy amount of huge rat droppings all over the tree.  Logged a DNF and what we did find.  CO replaced it and it went missing again quickly and he archived it.  I contacted him and it was a film canister set in the tree.  No way with all those rats there they wouldn't tear it up and run off with it.  I offered to help him find something that would work and he said he was done with the hide that we should hide something there. We took a old heavy metal army first aid kit and hid it there.  I knew the rats couldn't move that.  It was over 5 years ago and it is still there.  So if it is animals maybe you just have to change up the container and hide.  If you keep hiding the same thing it will probably keep happening.

I would try a clean metal container and then tether it somehow.  If that goes missing then it is probably muggles.

Thanks for all the replies.  

1. Neither container were former food containers, but were thoroughly cleaned and sterilized still.

2. to clarify - I am going to go look for it this weekend and if I cant find it, i will then archive it.  

3. there is no approved way to attach it where its at to keep it from getting moved.