Best Kind of Cache?

LycanthroFee

I've been thinking a lot, and I want to ask you guys what your favourite kind of cache is! Is it a cleverly hidden micro in a challenging spot, where you have to use quick wit to get it out? Is it a large container with plenty of swaps? Maybe it doesn't matter what KIND of cache it is, if it takes you to a beautiful spot that you'd have never gone to before, had it not been for the cache! Or maybe just a funny and memorable container! (I've got a rubber ducky one in the works at the moment ;) )

I'm personally a big fan of the all of the above! 

A lot of my Favorites are interesting, challenging puzzles. At the top of that list are the multi-stage epic caches with an assortment of field puzzles.

Others highlight public art or led me to beautiful views/hikes.

And many of the rest feature unique, challenging camouflage. I do enjoy finally finding those caches, the ones that aren't a needle in a haystack because there is no haystack. After 10 minutes, you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be", and then you have to figure out how/where the CO managed to hide a cache there.

Personally, I want a nice experience from beginning to end.  I want to feel that the cache owner cares. That the cache owner will read my log when I post it. That they didn't hide the cache to up someone's find count, but instead his priority is to provide an ongoing pleasant experience for a wide audience, from the child to the grandparents and in between. That they put some thought into the cache, not just carry a sackful of pill bottles and plunk one down while out shopping or walking, grab a quick gps reading, and submit. 

• Upvote 3

For me, it's the cache that takes me on an extended adventure, usually involving plenty of hiking and/or kayaking. Examples are Hawkesbury Heights #8 Gentleman's Geometry which took me three days of hiking and kayaking to work through the waypoints and then the final, The Goat House on Lord Howe Island which involved a 550 metre climb up Mount Lidgbird with breathtaking views, and D2/4T Challenge (The Dutchman's Stern) a challenge cache that took me a year to gather the required number of D2/T4 caches (many of which became memorable favourites themselves) and climaxed in a strenous hike in the Watagan Mountains with wonderful views from the clifftop GZ.

I like a nice walk, if not a full blown adventure.  And since I took a nice walk, I usually want to find a reasonably easy to find container that is in good condition and large enough to hold items (particularly travel bugs).  All hail the ammo can.

Sure, I've found plenty of micros, and some are clever, but I still prefer the larger hides.

• Upvote 3

It doesn't matter (to me) what cache type it is, as long as it's presenting an awesome view, or unique area.

The container no longer matters (to me) either, as few place more than tape-wrapped pill bottles in many areas these days.   Calling them "small" bugs me a bit...

- Yet those same people lead me to spots where I want to hang around awhile.    

The location holds my attention.   I don't think I've ever said, " remember that container?" a few years later...    :)

34 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I don't think I've ever said, " remember that container?" a few years later...

For some of my Favorites, all I remember is the container/camouflage. For others, all I remember is the location. For others, I don't remember either, and what I do remember is the puzzle, or maybe something else.

Edited by niraD

My absolute favourite cache was one I did on a holiday; we were up in Combe Martin at an event with a tonne of friends, and we had a good few hours before the closing ceremony. It'd been a long weekend full of fun, but we hadn't yet trekked much further than the venue's pool! I took a glance at the website, goodie!! A trail was nearby! I decided to gather my partner and go on a wander round the town and the hills. The sights were BEAUTIFUL! 

We had a lovely walk all over the little town and up into the hills, and the caches were brilliantly smart, kooky, and fun! As our lovely walk lead us to the last cache, we ended up looking out over where we had walked (we could even see the venue!) right as I got my 100th cache... Best caching experience I've ever had!

(pictured; me on the hill, gesturing to the venue)

image.thumb.jpg.1bcc182608c805d015cd8d6143a297f4.jpg

23 hours ago, LycanthroFee said:

I want to ask you guys what your favourite kind of cache is!

A cache that takes me to a cool place I didn't know about (even if it's in my own neighborhood).

And it's a well-designed container, durable and intact and listed correctly, especially the size. Almost always around here when outdoors, it's to be a watertight container, with clean, dry contents.

Maintained. The Cache Owner is responsive, proactively ensures it's in its spot, ready for finds. If there was a log, say, 10 finds ago that the log is wet, finders don't arrive to find the log wet. The CO is on it.

Concealed from the Normals. It's not discovered and messed with by non-cachers (even though it may be in the middle of town), it's obviously been placed with forethought. 100 finds later, 200 finds later, the cache just plain works.

At least a slight mystery about where it's hidden (“Huh, where's it at? Wow, right there.”), and a pleasant surprise when found. There's something special about the container or hide style.

Having everything come together on one cache like that is rare, but very cool.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 11/15/2017 at 10:08 AM, LycanthroFee said:

Is it a cleverly hidden micro in a challenging spot, where you have to use quick wit to get it out?

YES

Is it a large container with plenty of swaps?

I don't care so much about swaps, but large containers are cool to find because I appreciate the extra effort required to hide one

Maybe it doesn't matter what KIND of cache it is, if it takes you to a beautiful spot that you'd have never gone to before, had it not been for the cache!

YES

Or maybe just a funny and memorable container! (I've got a rubber ducky one in the works at the moment ;) )

YES

On 11/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, L0ne.R said:

Personally, I want a nice experience from beginning to end.  I want to feel that the cache owner cares. That the cache owner will read my log when I post it. That they didn't hide the cache to up someone's find count, but instead his priority is to provide an ongoing pleasant experience for a wide audience, from the child to the grandparents and in between. That they put some thought into the cache, not just carry a sackful of pill bottles and plunk one down while out shopping or walking, grab a quick gps reading, and submit. 

My feelings too. The ones that lead to a beautiful spot are high on my list.