Why are archived Webcams not locked?

AnnaMoritz

What is the intention behind letting people log a webcam where the owner of an 2007 archived webcam explicitely stated 

"This is an archived cache. I don´t accept found/photo taken logs anymore. Neihter logs before archiving, nor logs after archiving. Due to all cachers who don´t search for the cache anymore, respect this fact."

Some of the recent logs (starting with the hype for collecting as many icons as possible for the GIGA in Plumlov) say they didn't accept that the owner deleted their logs and they 'have OK from Groundspeak' to relog.

In contrast to any other cache a webcam owner can't remove the the cache physically to prevent further logs.

If logging of archived webcams is OK for Groundspeak, why not allow adoption or a new webcam cache there?

Then also other geocachers that respect the wish of of the owner of the archived webcam and don't log an archived webcam wuold get a chance, not only them who don't respect that the webcam is archived.

1 hour ago, AnnaMoritz said:

In contrast to any other cache a webcam owner can't remove the the cache physically to prevent further logs.

He could remove the link to the webcam.

It seems that there was no reason to archive the cache. Age of 4 years it not a valid reason if the wabcam is still working. I have seen a webcam cache unarchived when the missing webcam came back in operation.

From a geocachers view the cache seems to be still in place and some players will try to use opportunity to found it as they are used to do. Is it possible that reviewer will not want to lock it?

• Upvote 1

He can't remove the link. For archived listings you get: "This geocache listing cannot be edited because it has been archived."

Even if, every day hundreds (up to thousands) of tourists visit this place, it is in every tour guide and also locals know where it is, it is quite unique and the link to the webcam can be easily found.

Whether someone else sees a valid reason to archive a cache, shouldn't such a decision be respected that someone archived their cache?

Edited by AnnaMoritz
6 hours ago, arisoft said:

He could remove the link to the webcam.

It seems that there was no reason to archive the cache. Age of 4 years it not a valid reason if the wabcam is still working. I have seen a webcam cache unarchived when the missing webcam came back in operation.

From a geocachers view the cache seems to be still in place and some players will try to use opportunity to found it as they are used to do. Is it possible that reviewer will not want to lock it?

A cache owner is not required to give a reason for archiving a cache. One thing we owners still possess the right to do, is archive our caches. This is just another example of finders believing geocaching is always about them.

The owner can ask his/her reviewer to lock the cache for any further logging and it will be done.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, fbingha said:

A cache owner is not required to give a reason for archiving a cache. One thing we owners still possess the right to do, is archive our caches.

I have seen archived cache to be unarchived by reviewer without owner's request and against owner's will. Of course this is not an ordinary case but I have seen this happening so it is possible in rare cases.

22 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I have seen archived cache to be unarchived by reviewer without owner's request and against owner's will. Of course this is not an ordinary case but I have seen this happening so it is possible in rare cases.

Are you sure about that? The listing (and the box) are property of the owner, unarchiving against the owners will sounds strange to me.

• Upvote 1

Locationless caches are the only caches that have been categorically locked.  (Yes, I tried when we were first starting out; no, it didn't work.)

Where reviewers have had to step in and archive a webcam cache (usually due to the failure of an owner to police selfie logs when a webcam has gone down), it appears that the reviewer usually locks the webcam cache as standard practice.  This isn't universal, though; a couple of the webcams we found years ago that were later archived by reviewers are still not locked.  Those were all archived two years ago or earlier, so my guess is that either Groundspeak put the word out to reviewers to do this from now on, or reviewers have taken it upon themselves more recently to lock them in order to prevent abuse.

Several of the webcam caches I've looked up that were archived by their owners, and not by reviewers, are not locked; absent reviewer intervention, it seems that webcam cache owners need to ask reviewers to step in, and not all have done so. 

Though, as rife for abuse that webcam caches seem to be, I wouldn't object to seeing all webcam caches auto-locked after some reasonable grace period for late logs, say, six months or so.

52 minutes ago, fbingha said:

One thing we owners still possess the right to do, is archive our caches. This is just another example of finders believing geocaching is always about them.

Well said .Geocaching is nothing without hiders.

And as for a forced un archiving of a listing by a reviewer against the C.O.s wishes ... What a bizarre idea !

Does the reviewer pop over and replace the container (which of course the dutiful C.O. removed after archiving ) too, or in the case of a webcam/virtual/earthcache, deal with the log verification ? The C.O. isn't going to do it, they archived the thing ...

4 hours ago, arisoft said:

Please cite this case. I am curious about how this could happen.

• Upvote 3
20 hours ago, AnnaMoritz said:

Some of the recent logs (starting with the hype for collecting as many icons as possible for the GIGA in Plumlov) say they didn't accept that the owner deleted their logs and they 'have OK from Groundspeak' to relog.

Those loggers are mistaken.  The fact that this webcam cache was locked swiftly today bears that out.

In my experience here in my own USA review territory, Geocaching HQ is even faster and more proactive than I am in locking archived webcam caches that are being abused.

• Upvote 2