Hiding a new mystery; use and editing of checker

TheGeologgers

Dear All.

Is there any step by step explanation of how to wright a listing for a mystery, the use of a checker included?

I have some problems with the coords and the use of the geocaching-intrinsic checker. I'm not able to edit the checker. It shows the coords of the visible listing but when using it, a failure message appears saying something like "no coords are listed".

I also can't swith him off, just to use another checker.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

An explanation in german would be prefered but english will be fine also.

Thanks a lot.

TheGeologgers

7 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You can choose NOT to use the in house checker during cache page creation. Once the cache page is created, you can remove it from the cache EDIT page :

Are you saying have to opt out as an extra step after you create the listing? That would explain why I've been seeing it on puzzle caches that have a certitude checker.

No, you can simply opt out as you create a new mystery listing using the cache report form. Once you've selected to include it, I suspect getting rid of it is tough, if not impossible while working through the form. If you save your work, and have the in house checker as I assume TheGeologgers did, you can still get rid of it from the EDIT page. 

It's been a while since I created a Mystery cache, the coord entry flow is hardly intuitive. 

6 hours ago, dprovan said:

Are you saying have to opt out as an extra step after you create the listing? That would explain why I've been seeing it on puzzle caches that have a certitude checker.

I've seen it show up on several of my son's puzzle caches - that he placed years ago, and has a Certitude checker.  These are not new puzzles.  Is it being added to ALL puzzle caches retroactively?  Regardless if there is another puzzle checker or not?  This seems odd.  Does every puzzle cache owner need to go back to all their puzzles and opt out of it for every one?

21 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I've seen it show up on several of my son's puzzle caches - that he placed years ago, and has a Certitude checker.  These are not new puzzles.  Is it being added to ALL puzzle caches retroactively?  Regardless if there is another puzzle checker or not?  This seems odd.  Does every puzzle cache owner need to go back to all their puzzles and opt out of it for every one?

It isn't happening automatically to all puzzles. I just checked a few whose owners haven't logged in for more than a year, and they don't have Groundspeak's checker.

1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:
3 hours ago, niraD said:

It isn't happening automatically to all puzzles. I just checked a few whose owners haven't logged in for more than a year, and they don't have Groundspeak's checker.

I don't see Groundspeak's checker on any of my mystery cachers.  Of course, they are over five years old.

Is it Certitude checkers that also show the gc.com checker?  I've checked other puzzle caches around me and they are not showing the new GC checker; those with a Certitude checker DO show the new gc checker as well.  Confusing... 

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is it Certitude checkers that also show the gc.com checker?  I've checked other puzzle caches around me and they are not showing the new GC checker; those with a Certitude checker DO show the new gc checker as well.  Confusing... 

I see old puzzle caches with Certitude links, and no Groundspeak checker. The owners haven't logged on for months.

The ones with both must have had the owners check the checkbox to add the Groundspeak checker.

11 hours ago, niraD said:

I see old puzzle caches with Certitude links, and no Groundspeak checker. The owners haven't logged on for months.

The ones with both must have had the owners check the checkbox to add the Groundspeak checker.

I was wondering if it gets automatically checked if you edit the description, but I just tried it on one of mine, and it didn't happen. I suppose it might happen by accident, or someone might think they should check that check box to indicate that there is a checker, not because they want the new GS checker.

21 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

No.  It's not mandatory, and it's not retroactive.  It shows up as "recommended" on the cache submit page, that's as heavy as it gets.

From the Release Notes post:

The solution checker will appear on Mystery Cache pages viewed on Geocaching.com only if the cache owner has turned it on. (The default is off. Also, the solution checker is not currently visible when viewing caches in the Geocaching® app.) COs can continue using approved third-party checkers for their Mystery Caches if they wish.

To add the new solution checker to a cache page, the CO can check a box on the Edit Page:

I added it to ours, more out of curiosity as to how it worked.  I didn't remove the existing geochecker.com link, so I suppose any cacher who was desperate enough to try and brute force it could do so in half the time, given two potential checkers. 

Of course, they'd be foolish to do so, as immediately above each of the checkers, we have the following note:

Our caches are designed to be found, not to frustrate. Please email or message us if you need a hint. We'd rather be the ones to help you than to see this posted on some facebook puzzle cache spoiler group.

But, as my father always tells me, and as his father used to say to him, lazy men work the hardest.  If someone feels a burning need to brute force a solution, they can knock themselves out.  It's not like any of our puzzle caches are the Da Vinci Code or anything.

Edited by hzoi