Souvenir from a country I traveled to...but got none

Caching_Lizard

I'm wondering why there isn't a souvenir for India?  I thought I'd get one once I found a couple GC while visiting there but when I logged on...I had nothing.  What's the requirements to have a souvenir for a country or is it just that no one has done one yet?

Thanks for any information given.

Lizard

Edited by Caching_Lizard
On 11/12/2017 at 11:20 AM, Caching_Lizard said:
On 11/12/2017 at 11:10 AM, RuideAlmeida said:

Last years we had 5 new country Souvenirs in the end of each year... mostly based on the caches quantity. Maybe India will be granted one soon.

One it's based on the amount of caches?  
Would I receive one even after I've found the caches in the summer of this year?

The country souvenirs have *mostly* been based on the number of caches in the country but there have been a few exceptions.  This page shows the number of caches per country: https://project-gc.com/Statistics/CachesPerArea?submit=Filter and here is an un-official but authoritative list of countries for which souvenirs have been created: http://thea-team.net/souvenirs/countries

From that first list you'll see several countries which do not yet have souvenirs (Taiwan #38, Hong Kong #39, Israel #43, Argentina #44...), while a few countries further down the list (Russia #50,  Iceland #53, Singapore #55) already have souvenirs.  India is quite a bit further down the list at #73 is it's probably going to be awhile before there is a souvenir available for finding a cache there.  

As was mentioned, for the past several years GS has released 5 new country souvenirs and I hope that they continue.  They did, however, release country souvenirs for Germany and Canada for the "Where is Signal?" promotion (souvenirs were only for Canadian provinces and German Bundeslander previously).  Often around this year, some of the forum participants will try to guess which countries will get a souvenir.  Here is my guess:

• Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Argentina
  • United Arab Emerites
  • Puerto Rico 

I never understood how they decide which country deserves souvenirs each year. I would assume that countries with many caches like Taiwan (about 2000), Hong Kong (1800), Israel (1700), will get priority over countries with about 200 caches (like Namibia). But geocaching.com's ways are mysterious...

• Upvote 1
On 6/4/2018 at 2:04 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

They're holding back souvenirs - most countries still don't have them - and releasing them at a dribble in marketing promotions.

I'm not expecting Nicaragua, say, in my lifetime.

I'm hoping that Kenya will get one, but I'm not going to hold my breath for getting a cache for my finds in Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Ethiopia.  There's a good chance I'll go to Botswana in the fall but little chance that I'll see a geocaching souvenir if I manage to find a cache while I'm there.  

9 hours ago, terratin said:

I really, really want to see a souvenir for Qatar (it's my third most cached-in country), but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like GS is chose the most popular countries first, with the occasional odd one thrown into the mix.

I'd like to see one for Qatar also as I have a couple of finds there, and India (same reason).