custom oregon 650 geocache symbols

Modelflyers (MFS)

I'm sure I've seen somebody do it before but I just can't remember where.  I love my Oregon but I do have one major problem with the default symbols that get used, especially the unknown question mark symbol which just disappears into the background.  I have got as far as creating and loading a custom bitmap onto the Oregon but I cannot work out how to get the GPX file to refer to the new symbol.  Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Do you created the icon with the Garmin specific rules?
http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2010/03/personalize-your-map-with-custom-symbols.html#.VaNl2vlKXDc

The unit's firmware itself is automatically mapping the new icon against the old one. You have to name the new icon in exactly the same way than the built-in icons are named.
More info: https://developer.garmin.com/downloads/legacy/GarminCustomSymbols/CustomGeocacheList.txt

The firmware matches the GPXses <sym> and the <type> tag for replacing the icons.

<sym>Geocache</sym>
    <type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>

Hans

Edited by HHL
58 minutes ago, Modelflyers (MFS) said:

Thanks Hans,  I can certainly see my new marker in the custom markers on my list, but the filename is the random name I gave it, I'll try the naming thing.

[...]

Fine. ;-)
And please have in mind, that Custom Symbols which are replacing icons will show in the Garmin's appropriate section and NOT under Customs. (ie: my Custom Symbol "Bank.bmp" does not show within the Custom window but within the Points of interest window. My Custom Symbols "Chuch.bmp" and "Cemetery.bmp" appears within the Civil window.)

CustomSymbol_Civil.png?raw=1

Hans

Edited by HHL