Public Bicycle fixing stations

1 hour ago, Tante.Hossi said:

Some bike stores also offer tools and air pumps to use for free. They can be found in front of their stores.

Would they count? Or only those modern stations?

In winter sport areas there are often tools offered for free to repair your skiers or snow board.

Would tey count as well?

I think the stores offering tools would be redundant to the Bicycle Shops category. no? And I wouldn't mix the DIY stations that are available 7x24 with shops that have opening times. Of course, if a bicycle shop has a DIY station in front of their shop that can be used 7x24, it would deserve a separate waymark in the new category (in my humble opinion of course).

2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I don't think these are very interesting, frankly. And they aren't very good-looking.

We have a large number of these in Dallas, so is over/underprevalence a issue? I doubt these will be very easy to find in smaller cities or out in rural areas. 

They might not look very good, but if your bicycle needs a repair in the middle of the night, it would be great to know where to go. I don't even own a bicycle, but I support that category idea.

2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

We have a large number of these in Dallas, so is over/underprevalence a issue? I doubt these will be very easy to find in smaller cities or out in rural areas. 

What do you consider a large number? A nearby metro is becoming more bike friendly by installing bike lanes, ect. I have not encountered one of these repair stations yet.

Usually i ride my bike out of normal business hours (I’m workin at that hours) and this Stations have helped me a few times even in a rural area where i found one exactly half way of a bicycle trail.  I don’t think there is over/underprevalence issue, yes some places may have more than others but I think that is normal. 

I agree with PISA-cachingI think the stores offering tools would be redundant to the Bicycle Shops category, but if there is a Station close to it that would be accepted.

Regarding ski/snowboard Repair Stations (not stores offering tools) Can be a good addition to the category, the same for skateboard Repair Stations. (Images below)

skateboard-repair-station (Small).jpg

ski-snowboard-repair-station (Small).jpg

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I have no idea how many repair stations we have here in Vienna, Austria - but I bet, that there are less bicycle repair stations than advertising columns. Plus, I'm sure that there are people who will be grateful to find these repair stations, while I can't think of anybody searching deparately for an advertising column.

I use the Waymarking app to find common useful things and places sometimes. It would be good to know where a station was if needed.

• Upvote 1